Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, January 28, 2019

No More Bandages, Thanks




If you’ve been a regular visitor to EasternShoreFishAndGame.com, you will know that I am a man who doesn’t mince words or hide the truth.



I have written about the demise of Montgomery Ward, Sears, Toys R Us, and Kmart, and will be commenting on the critical condition of Lowe’s and JC Penney.



Throughout my years, I have patronized all of those establishments and bought everything from clothes and tools to guns and tires.  And throughout several of those transactions I wound up with varying degrees of success.



When I felt slighted as a consumer I made the management aware of my feelings.  More often than not, they would simply offer lip service to the tune of the situation being out of their control; too bad.



Leaving an establishment with an incomplete sense of accomplishment tends to make me look for another place at which to conduct future business.  And I don’t believe I’m alone.



Chasing customers away is pretty counterproductive to a good business plan.  Stores advertise via print, radio and television media, as well as the internet through pop-up ads.

All this advertising costs money and is designed to attract, and keep, buyers coming into your establishment to spend more and more money.



That last paragraph is not some well-kept secret among merchants and monstrous vending conglomerates.  That is, after all, how these joints stay in business.



Macy’s and other well-established stores offer annual parades to attract parents and kids to buy stuff for Christmas.  Walmart publishes a regular paper flyer in the daily newspaper, besides forwarding an e-version to my phone – just to be sure I get it.



As you can tell, just going into a store is not really enough.  After the initial visit, it is desirable to lure those same customers back in for repeat sales.  This is where coupons, loyal customer cards, individual store credit plans, and layaways, excel. 



So I began thinking about where all those former unpleasant, smarmy, and unappreciative employees of Montgomery Ward, Sears, Toys R Us, and Kmart, are now working.



It was an epiphany when I recently saw a television advertisement for a product my Dad used, and introduced me to some fifty-years ago.



Gillette razors, razor blades, and bandages – no, Gillette doesn’t make bandages, but should – had become a tradition in our household.  It’s been tidying up men’s faces for generations, with little or no complaints from the female part of the families.



Great interest, is much too kind to describe my feelings when I watched this feminization of the American man in a Gillette television ad.



Some social do-gooder, who likely makes too much money, created this slap-in-the-face of most men and many Gillette product users.



In essence, it squarely placed men into the Harvey Weinstein prison cell by somehow drawing a crooked line from the segment of the human population with guy parts, to all those guys being sexual perverts and misogynists.



Of course, Gillette is wrong.  Very few men mistreat women, and need little for which to apologize.  Perhaps Gillette took this opportunity to rub the noses of American men into some sort of imaginary pile of woosification as a publicity stunt, or maybe they actually believe that tripe.



The very idea of them to offer contrition on my behalf is not only arrogant, but offensive.



This is the part of the story where I proudly announce I will no longer patronize Gillette because I am not a part of their sick, contrived notion as to who consumes Gillette products.  I’d rather continue standing to pee.



In any case, it would appear to me that Gillette, a division of Kraft, is desperately trying to achieve the same status as Montgomery Ward, Sears, Toys R Us, and Kmart – all has-beens.  Good job, Chairman and CEO and New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft!