Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, January 7, 2019

BOOM!!!

As I age, I find the world has tilted just a bit on its axis a little more every day.



Over the years I have witnessed the legalization of murdering babies, and the banning of constitutionally protected guns.  I have seen the mockery of FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover for allegedly cross-dressing, but have seen the applause of contemptible FBI Director James Comey.  Further, I have witnessed the ardent effort to make vehicles safer, only to have those safety features nullified by cell phones.  Alas.



During my years as an elementary student, I recall a meeting with parents and teachers at our school discussing the assembly of provision boxes for each student.  Parents put together cardboard boxes with canteens of water, canned tuna, canned soup, utensils, toiletries, and bedding, that included blankets and a pillow.



Immediately thereafter, we first-graders began watching video cartoons featuring a turtle and other cute animals attempting to protect themselves from impending danger.



This was the beginning of the Cold War – a dark period in history that pressed the Soviet Union and the United States to the brink of atomic war.



First graders – and likely Harvard graduates – had no idea as to the gravity of atomic war, nor the fact there would be few, if any, survivors, period.



In retrospect, vaporization would probably be a pretty quick way to meet God.  But our parent’s fears were supposed to be assuaged through this exercise in futility.


“Ignorance is bliss,” comes to mind when I recall this smoke and mirrors display.



I am now living in an age where my biggest threat is too many drinking straws winding up in the oceans, allegedly leading to the rapid increase in planet temperatures.  Oh, my!



So every day, I thoroughly comb the media for stories akin to nuclear missiles being lobbed into grade schools, nurseries, or hospitals.  I have yet to find one.



But, I did run across something nearly as frightening as nuclear destruction for today’s generation to fear.



The first sentence says it all: Journalism professors at Leeds Trinity University in the UK have been instructed not to use certain words — in case they frighten sensitive students.



Nope!  I did not make this up.  It seems as though UK students at Leeds Trinity University (LTU) are having “anxiety” attacks over the use of such offensive words as “don’t” and “do.”



This article goes on to say that LTU students simply can’t cope with the use of “capitalized words” for some reason.



Sadly, jazz hands
I’m not going to get into the cessation of clapping, at Britain’s University of Manchester, where instead of using applause children/university students are encouraged to use “jazz hands” so as not to offend the sensitivities of other college snowflakes.  No kidding.



It seems unfathomable to think about how these easily offended university tykes would handle being turned into instant glass by a 300,000 degree Celsius blast.



Welcome to a future without drinking straws or clapping.