Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, January 21, 2019

Grousing Again




Okay, okay.  Sure, I’m regularly picking on a place called Tallmart.



I use this store name because I want to avoid giving away the fact I am referring to a store named Walmart.  Please don’t tell anyone, though.



As you can imagine, today’s journalistic venture is about Walmart, er, Tallmart.



I continue to shop there because they frequently have what I want, and the necessary stuff is reasonably priced, and I usually come away with a true story of some sort.



The kicker is that going to my local Tallmart winds-up being a treasure hunt, of sorts.  I was looking for mineral oil.  Mineral oil is not where you’d think it would be unless you figured it would be with the laxatives.



My sainted wife and I searched high and low, making our way through the personal health section, the pharmacy department, even automotive.  Since I don’t normally imbibe in mineral oil – on-the-rocks or otherwise – we eventually stumbled upon it by chance.



A dozen of eggs, three yellow peaches, two Bosc pears, a bottle of mineral oil, and some elbow macaroni later, and we were ready to check out.



My local Tallmart doesn’t have a “suggestion box” likely because they don’t want suggestions.  From previous shopping trips there I found that speaking to the store manager is akin to talking to a folding lawn chair.  The aluminum type with the plastic webbing.  But I digress.



Speaking with a manager some years ago, I was passing along information on an unpleasant visit there; the manager patiently listened and eventually looked me straight into my eyes when she said, “But he passed the drug test.”



This epiphany brought me back to the real world where I realize I wasted so much time in school.  Had I known I could get a job just by not using dope, I could have been a CEO.  Alas.



So I have now decided it is better to come home and talk to Smokey the Cat who is much more intelligent, and who also passed a drug test.



In any case, my latest suggestion for Tallmart employees and executives, alike, regards the leaving process.



Yes, Tallmart has made leaving their stores very, very difficult, bordering on impossible.



When my local Tallmart was built some twenty-years ago, they optimistically built the store with eighteen – that’s 18 – checkout lanes.  Those lanes easily occupy one tenth of the floor space.



Unfortunately, on any given day, only two checkers are manning TWO of those 18 lanes.



Checkout lanes are expensive to build and maintain, and occupy precious floor space on which merchandise could be displayed.



Clearly there is a lack of money-oriented people on The Shore that are able to pass drug tests.



So to expedite things to get pesky shoppers like me out of the store more quickly, they installed self-checkout machines.  Ah, the Tallmart braintrust was at it again.



Self-checkouts consist of scanners with scales and a modest computer screen.  Off to the side is a contraption that holds the plastic bags into which you place your scanned items.



That barcode on each package is waved in front of the scanner until it beeps, indicating it registered and you will dutifully pay for it.



In all actuality, this self-checkout thing is pretty enjoyable inasmuch as you don’t have to deal with surly, drug-free employees any more than you absolutely have to.



$15/hour job creator - I mean eliminator
On the way back home I realized what corporate America is doing to us as consumers.  We buy gas and must pump it ourselves.  We are urged to buy cars on-line without as much as a test drive.  Banks are making us do our financial business at ATMs.  And now Tallmart is coaxing us to check ourselves out.



Here’s some final food for thought.  All those angry minimum wage Americans demanding a $15/hour minimum wage should be careful what they wish for. 



At this rate, they won’t be needed because the customers will be doing their jobs for them.  Perhaps they should demand $50/hour for avoiding customers.  And they can smoke weed all day long.