Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, May 23, 2016

Wrong Again


Yesterday I made my tri-annual visit to my doctor.  I visit him several times a year because I have 
good insurance and he makes payments on his new sailboat.  But, I digress.


He told me to stop losing weight and start drinking beer!



Well, not actually.  Just the opposite is true.



We argued about the dramatic change in the Earth’s gravitational pull, which was the true cause of my weight gain.  He didn’t think that was the case, I differed.  I pointed out that the magnetic poles were shifting and likely affected the gravity.  I don’t think he bought it.



This morning, though, while watching the national news, a story was run extolling the virtues of beer.



It seems research scientists have been holding out on me the fact drinking one beer a day can help fight off several debilitating illnesses.  Having two a day is even better in fighting off cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.  Hard to believe, but true.



So a call to my doctor was attempted until my sainted wife snatched the phone from my normally gun-clinging fingers.



“You’re not going to call your doctor?” was more of an exclamation rather than a question from my sainted wife.



“Sure I am!” was my retort as a question more than an exclamation.



This banter continued until Smokey the cat interceded.



It isn’t often that I am this right on this many levels.  Besides, I was thirsty.



My logic was based on science from that beer study, combined with fact most of my acquaintances drink beer in copious quantities.  And, they’re all pretty healthy.  They’re alive, anyway.



During my college days I conducted my own extensive personal study on beer consumption by attending countless mixers, associating with fellow drinking collegians, and sampling every lager known to man. 



That extensive research was inconclusive.





Not to brag but, I was vying for the U.S. Olympic Beer Drinking Team.  Unfortunately, Foster Brooks beat me out for a position.



But using those news story facts as a barometer gave me justification to argue with most medical professionals, including my doctor.  After all, I’m paying him.



He wasn’t impressed with my debating skills.  He did ask me whether left or right was the starboard side.



I suggested he phone my sainted wife for an answer since she has them all.