Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Twelve


Wrist watches and clocks have numerals one through twelve on their faces and dials.  This fact is important to know as I proceed to explain my latest dilemma.  In fact, this is so important that I’ll wait until you check your clocks and watches.

I do not have a major in mathematics.  Every once in a while I run across someone who will give me a time to be somewhere at 16:30 hours.  If you diligently checked your time pieces as I asked earlier, you will have noticed I am correct with the maximum of twelve hours on the clock face.

My jewelry box is full of watches because I love them.  They are mechanical wonders that serve many purposes such as ways to tell the time, date, and provide eye candy.  I have the best friends on the planet who have presented me with special watches for special occasions and I relish them all, much as Jay Leno relishes all the cars in his fleet.  All these watches have dials that stop at twelve.

It is not that twelve is a great number, or that thirteen is not so great, but twelve is the number of hours in a half-day.  Most school kids should be able to tell you that each day consists of twenty-four hours and is broken down into twelve-hour halves with AM being the designation for morning hours, and PM used to denote afternoon and evening hours.  Pretty simple, indeed.

Unfortunately, the government got involved along the way.  Enter the soldiers and former soldiers, pilots, ship captains, some communication entities, and basic geeks, who use a 24-hour clock to tell time.  I personally believe they use it just to throw me off.

Evidently there’s some crazy talk about crossing the Prime Meridian and not knowing what time it is, where.  This goofy method of time-telling adds another element into merely looking at your Rolex.  People must know how to cipher.  Yes, there is math involved.  Alas, people like me must reach for a calculator in order to tell time.
Most use this 24-hour time system under duress, I’m sure.  Just imagine how arduous it would be for someone who is math-challenged to be on a covert military mission, wearing black commando togs, hunkered down in the cusp of a darkened tunnel with seven other trained killers.  Canvass sacks slung over one shoulder, a suppressed H&K submachine gun at the ready, hand-grenades dangling from a black belt slung across the chest, each person anxiously, intently staring out from faces blackened with grease paint.  The unit’s leader glances back toward his men while cocking his wrist into position to study his watch.  He quietly, but firmly, announces the ‘go-time’ as 21:45.  “Mark!”

Does one of these guys actually say, “Is that 9:45 PM?  I just want to be sure.” 

I certainly would of course.  There’s nothing like having the wrong time when you’re going to kill people and blow things up to put a damper on the moment.  Or picking up someone standing in the rain.  Or heading home to dinner.  But, I digress.

It is not necessary to create and use a separate and distinct system so vital to so many daily activities, namely time-telling, as to dance on the proverbial edge of possible disaster because of poor adding skills.
Let’s all come to our senses and just say, “No!” to this 24-hour clock nonsense.

Next week, we’ll tackle the communication roadblocks created because of not everyone speaking English, and why everyone should cater to me.