Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, July 2, 2012

Camouflage


It’s time to get real with everything camouflage.  Camouflage was developed – I don’t know when it was developed but, I’m almost certain it was designed to be able to hide people and things.

Somehow, during the past two decades, camouflage has actually become fashionable.  As of this writing, it can be spotted in more places than Justin Bieber.  And, I’m not sure why.

Guys and gals wear camo for hunting.  For you city folk, “hunting” is an activity by which one ventures into nature with a weapon and kills an animal for food and clothing, and is revered as a biblical time-honored tradition in many parts of what you might term “the sticks.”

Camouflage clothing is used so that the hunter has an equal playing field, as the animals are naturally cloaked with their own camouflage and blessed with extraordinary scents of smell, hearing and vision.

Such concealment is taken a step further by turkey and duck hunters because their prey can see in color.  Yes, it seems as though deer and some other species are actually color-blind.  Hence, the mandatory use of blaze orange for deer and most other hunters so that their hunting brethren aren’t mistaken for game.

Let’s examine this weird anomaly of all things camo.  Peruse most any hunting gear catalog and camouflage gear is virtually everywhere. 

There are wraps for your ATV and pickup truck, likely because an animal won’t hear or notice a 4,000 pound vehicle driving through a field or on a trail.  There are electric crock pots clad in camo, in case you need to whip up a pot of stew while you’re in your deer blind, and there are camouflage bikinis in case your girlfriend would like to take a quick dip in that icy stream in January.  I spotted camo baby clothes for guys who must combine baby-sitting duties and elk hunting.

I bring all this up because while shopping for a pair of flip-flops I came across a pair in camouflage shades of green.  Venturing off into the woods wearing flip-flops would be foolish under the best of circumstances but, toting a rifle through a forest or field wearing flimsy rubber pads on the soles of your feet for protection so that a deer will not notice you, is insane.  You see, my feet actually cover up the camouflage part making these effective only if I were standing atop the deer itself; although wearing camo, I dare say the deer would notice me at this juncture.

More and more celebrities and other flashes-in-the-pan can be seen sporting camo pants or shirts, perhaps to avoid detection by the paparazzi seeking a photo or two. And all this is done at an extra cost as certain companies make cloth with patterns of tress, brush, leaves, and stick imprinted thereon, and claim the rights to it and charge a premium price because they replicated yard debris.

All this is pretty silly for an attempt to stalk and kill an animal that can’t detect color in the first place.  It may just be time to say ‘enough’ when buying hunting clothing and accessories.
 
While visiting a sporting goods store I tried on a wide-brimmed camo hat to keep the rain and sun off my neck and ears while hunting.  A salesman ambled up and asked if I needed help; I stood silently and didn’t move.  He asked again and with my best startled look I told him I didn’t want this hat as it was defective. 

“What’s wrong with it?” was his question.

“You can still see me.  This is an inferior chapeau,” I retorted.

He shook his balding head and wandered off, and I saved money by not buying a product that clearly didn’t work.