Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, September 16, 2019

Ancient Pyramids




Once upon a time I was introduced to something called a “food pyramid.”  It was pretty neat at that time – second grade, or so, when at the top appeared what was important stuff to consume.  Those important items included cookies, cakes, and candy, if my memory serves me well.  Of course I could be wrong; that was sixty-years ago.



On the way down the pyramid, those less important food groups were strategically interspersed into a grid representing basic food groups.  It was amazing to seven-year old.



Some of those food groups included starches, breads, pasta, and rice; meats; fish; vegetables; and fruits.



But as time progressed, we learned that that ever-so-important food pyramid was a lie.



Eventually, scientists and food technologists decided that cakes should not appear at the top; rather they should be in the diabetes section of that amazing grid; fermented beverages were migrated to the liver-killing portion.



In any event, this was introduced to me when I was young and impressionable, learning in a parochial school that served me well.



Also in that school, contained somewhere in our catechism classes was another pyramid that left a lasting impression on me.



This second pyramid represented people instead of foods.



At the top of this one was God.  Beneath God was the clergy, who rested on the same level as our parents.  In the next level down were the police, followed by teachers, doctors, other parents and relatives, and lastly, me.



It should come as no surprise my place of honor was at the very bottom of this important hierarchy, inasmuch as I was still unable to cross a street without adult guidance, or play with anything sharper than a crayon.



Nonetheless, that tiered system was concise in its form and undisputable.



I thought about this second, person pyramid when I heard about miscreants tossing pails of water on unsuspecting police officers who were doing their jobs.  They appeared totally humiliated and helpless, achieving their desired results.



The street thugs could be heard laughing and jeering at these patient professionals, who clearly exhibited more restraint than I ever could.  Still, they were dishonored for the entire world to see, and that was simply uncivilized.



About a week later we, as a nation, learned one mentally ill puke took-up arms against innocent, unwary shoppers in a department store, while another in a different city and state felt compelled to kill people outside a bar.



These disconnects with the authorities made me think that perhaps the people pyramid had changed its grid, much as the food pyramid had been realigned to reflect more modern times.



I know for a fact God is not at the top of that pyramid, and I’m pretty certain police professionals are not anywhere near the top, although God is still atop my personal people pyramid.



Parents are unable to control their own kids, inasmuch as they all smoke dope together, break many laws, and relentlessly taunt neighbors with impunity.



Of course, much of this ill-mannered behavior is learned through mass media and parents who feel free to disrespect our duly-elected officials, doting parents, and entire religions.



I’m curious as to who resides at the very top of the people pyramid for the balance of society.  If not God, parents, law enforcement, or teachers, who resides at the apex of this grid to serve as a guide with respect?



Perhaps this pyramid is also now inverted with the individual kids now on the top.



Heaven help us all.