Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, August 19, 2019

Missing Beach Geniuses




My Dad and Mom worked hard throughout their lives.  They provided well for me and my sister, something for which I am still grateful.



Being a factory worker, Dad – and all his co-workers – received two-weeks off as vacation.  For a few weeks during the summer, his employer needed to clean their blast furnaces, and that wound up being vacation time.



Off to the ocean for a week at the water was our regular holiday, with beaches of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, being among our favorite.  I just made that sound as though I had a say in the decision; I did not, but I wasn’t paying the bills, either.  I was only five at the time.



In any case, we packed suitcases full of clothes, boxes of food, and enough toys to keep us clothed, fed, and entertained, for at least a week.



Unfortunately it didn’t matter because we tired of one-another after only a few days; it wasn’t any different from being home, it was simply a different location.  The company remained the same.  Alas.



One of the regulars to make the trip was a big, green metal Army truck that fell casualty to the salty sea in a few short years.  Among the other regular items was a small box full of naked Barbie dolls for my sister.  They were naked because she immediately disrobed them upon receiving them.  In fact, everyone thought she would grow up to be a stripper.



A close imposter of our umbrella
And then there was the umbrella.  It was multicolored vinyl, attached to a metal pole with a spike.  My Dad would schlep that thing to and fro, and had a special utility rag with which to dutifully wipe it off after each use.  A small can of 3-in-One oil was an accompanying travel companion.



Each year that beach trek could have been mistaken for a scene from Lawrence of Arabia.  Much like T.E. Lawrence climbing the dunes of the Sahara with tribes of Arabs, my Dad, Mom, sister, and I, drudged over the dunes from the parking lot toward Aqaba.



Sherpa-like, each of us had our own special cargo which was needed to complete the encampment.  Dad led this march while proudly carrying the multi-colored umbrella.



After what seemed akin to days without water or sustenance, we arrived at the shoreline.  This same exercise was repeated – in reverse – after six hours of skin scorching sun, every day throughout the week.  Yeah!



After the first day of acquiring second-degree burns, my sister and I were ready for an official mutiny.  But we could tell time and both of us knew there would be hell to pay if we didn’t toe-the-line, so we did.



But by next July, we would forget about this torturous adventure and go willingly to the beach, once again.  Neither of us were smart enough to run away from home.



However, I recalled this story because I was reading the local newspaper here on The Eastern Shore, and nearly fell off my chair.



Today’s big front page item, above-the-fold, was about beach umbrellas.



It seems as though sixty-years later, society has become stupider.  Yes, stupider.



That news item addressed the beach umbrella crisis on our public beaches.



According to this hard-hitting story in The Daily Times, “Beachgoers have been injured – and even killed – by flying beach umbrellas.”



It was reported “that there were roughly 2,800 unconfirmed beach umbrella-related injuries between 2010-2018.”



In fact, the situation is so dire, U.S. Senator Chris Van Hollen, a Democrat from the People’s Republic of Maryland, feels that the federal government needs to increase measures to make “sure the public understands how to safely use a beach umbrella.”



Now you’re sitting there looking at your computer screen and wondering what sort of psychotropic drugs I’m ingesting.  For the record: I’M NOT USING ANY.



But you might want to give Senator Van Hollen’s office a call.  He’s the one with such faith in his voters/constituents, that he actually said he wants to make “sure the public understands how to safely use a beach umbrella.”



Growing up I knew my Dad was smart, but I just realized how smart he actually was.  Our umbrella never became airborne in all those beach vacations, and I never gave it a second thought.  He was smarter than a United States Senator thinks he was.



God rest your soul, Dad.