Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, August 5, 2019

California Brain Trust


As I’m sure there were in most high schools, cliques of the “smarter” students tried to create a special place for themselves.  They isolated their classmates in favor of those equally special, smart kids.



These non-inclusive dolts were the types with which you are familiar; the guys had beards, unibrows, and always looked stoned.  Come to think of it, so did the girls with whom they associated.  But I digress.



To be even more exclusive, they dyed their hair, wore unique clothing, and loved science fiction.  To that end, they also created their own language.  Their effort was to prevent the non-smart kids from eavesdropping on them to learn what inane lives they had.



Of course, it made no sense because there are so many different languages in the world.  In fact, I’ll save you the trouble of looking the number up and simply give it to you: over 6800.



With that staggering number of ways to communicate with one another, it would be stupid, not smart, to invent another language.  Besides, many of those non-inclusive kids were in my classes with me, and did poorly in English and German.



I occasionally wonder whatever happened to those smarter kids.  I speculate whether they got good jobs or married or in what prison they are currently residing.



And then it hit me.



Personhole, is a word that was new to me when I awoke this morning.  No, it didn’t appear in today’s crossword puzzle, it was something I heard on the news.



Another ear-catcher was personpower, as was persongo.  Yep.



If you think I’m creating my own smart language before your eyes, you couldn’t be more wrong.  But I believe I may have discovered offspring of some of those smart kids from my high school.



The news story to which I am referring is from the left coast city of Berkeley, California.  Apparently Berkeley is problem-free.  Even with thousands of homeless who are using the city streets as toilets, embarrassing violent and property crime rates, and outrageous tax rates, Berkeley City officials found time to solve the problem of filling a language void.



Officially changing common names to make society “all-inclusive” is quite ambitious.  Authoritatively banning use of the word “man” in ordinary language is, well, just plain stupid.



Manhole has become personhole, manpower is now personpower, and mango has suddenly been renamed persongo.



Photo of persongo fruit
While you may think this is humorous, it actually borders on lunacy.  This is the same way we became “politically correct” some years ago. We were slowly indoctrinated into making nitwits supervisors, hiring illiterate idiots to teach our children, and forcing lending institutions to give mortgages to people unable to repay loans, all in the name of political correctness.



Those efforts resulted in everyone being called racists, homophobes, misogynists, and bigots.  It divided our once strong, cohesive nation.



But today is special.  Today we have the benefit of hindsight, allowing us as a society to reject stupidity to make a handful of people “feel included”



Creating a new language was dumb in the 1960’s, and it is dumber right now in time.



And just as when I was in high school, I’m going to ignore your dim-witted efforts to exclude me and others under the guise of inclusiveness.



Go annoy someone else.