Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, June 24, 2019

Check the Mirror






Just yesterday my head nearly exploded.



Reading the news on my phone, computer, and in the newspaper, are some of my favorite pastimes.



I get to stay updated with information of my choosing by selectively finding, then reading, news items in which I might be interested.  These methods have served me well for decades because they have helped me intelligently vote for able candidates, and assist me as simple conversation starters.



Although I’ve been doing this since I was a kid – when Edsel’s were still unpopular – I find “the news” has been changing.



I firmly believe reporters are becoming lazier and more vocal by promoting their personal agendas, as there has been a distinct change in news items.



Object of The Left's obsession
In fact, most of what appears in today’s media is not news, rather it is opinion disguised as news.  In other words, tripe.



An excellent example is something that caught my eye in print.  A news item in The Baltimore Sun was recounting an exercise in vilifying guns.



“Young leaders call for action on gun violence,” was the heading that so desperately attempted to place the blame for shootings on the gun instead of the miscreants using the gun.




Not without merit, writer Jonathan Pitts did his absolute best to give readers the feeling that gun owners were the nefarious among society, and that many of the victims were younger than 24-years of age.



Unfortunately, not all numbers are facts.  Sometimes those numbers are just numbers.  Except when numbers are intentionally omitted, that is.



This event was the inaugural “summit” sprouted by youths who desire an end to gun violence.  Evidently there were numerous similar events held “coast-to-coast,” with attendees wearing orange shirts and hats, bracelets, and pins, surrounded by orange balloons.



And all this, along with rousing speeches, were part of a propaganda effort to create a feel-good atmosphere.  Mr. Pitt’s reporting failed to mention the actual number of attendees at this Coppin State summit.  Instead, he wrote one of the teenage founders “hoped to draw as many as 500 for its first event, but he saw Saturday’s attendance as a good start for a long-term mission.”




Being sufficiently vague by leaving out figures can only mean a smattering was present for this monumental call for “dialogue.”



I believe the dialogue represents an old adage, “Talk is cheap.”



And that tired “creating awareness” line should be reserved for exposing the hard facts about why people have no respect for human life, rather than blaming inanimate objects for society’s woes.



I’m just saying…