Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, June 3, 2019

Bad News, Good News


My life is chock full of ‘good news, bad news’ scenarios.



An example of good news, bad news, goes thusly: Bad news – doctors had to amputate both your legs; Good news – your roommate is interested in buying your bedroom slippers.



Two-weeks ago I received a voicemail message from someone named Agent Hobart, who couldn’t speak English.  He claimed to be working for the Internal Revenue Service, and I was being contacted because I was delinquent in my payment to the IRS.



I couldn’t see how that could happen because I pay a certified public accountant to do my taxes, and those tax dollars I owe are remitted quarterly.



Nonetheless, I continued to listen with bated breath.



The caller insisted I purchase, and send, an ITunes gift card to them immediately.  Immediately, they said.



This made me curious since after dealing with the IRS for over a half-century, I never realized I could simply buy an ITunes card for payment to the federal guvment.



Opening up a whole new horizon, I began thinking about this brilliant way of paying for guvmental stuff.  I quickly called the U.S. Department of State to inquire about getting a passport.  When I asked about paying for it with an ITunes card, they rudely hung up.



Then it was a call to DMV who also disconnected my call.  The county treasurer, state taxation department, boat registration section, and pet licensing division, all cut me off, too.  It was at this point I realized I was having trouble with my telephone, so I called the phone company.



While I had them on the line I posed the ITunes card question to them, at which point the representative laughed until the line went dead.



It seems as though the IRS is on to something with this payment method.  I instantly contacted Sunoco, Wal-Mart, Safeway, Publix, and my local car dealership to see if they take these handy gift cards as transfer of funds for regular purchases of gas, sleeveless t-shirts, and cheese.



Alas, only the federal guvment’s IRS is savvy enough to blaze the trail in payment in lieu of cash.  This was important as I, according to Agent Hobart, was looking at 20-years of hard time in a federal prison.



Just when I thought this bad news was only getting worse, a “ding” on my cell phone informed me of an incoming email.



Here it was – a sign from above that things were only going to get better.



It was an unexpected mail message from Ogumbi Oswala, an African prince.  I didn’t recognize the name, but continued to read this e-letter with interest.

Not Prince Ogumbi Oswala, just Prince


As it happens, Prince Oswala came across 45-million US dollars following an overthrow of power in his sovereign country.  Because of the local turmoil there, Prince Oswala needed someone to hold onto this $45,000,000, for a couple of weeks, after which the holder – that would be me – would get half of that money.



It was a no-brainer.  Twenty-two and a half million bucks for only waiting a few weeks seemed like a win-win situation for both me and Prince Oswala.  The only catch was I needed to deposit $10,000 of good faith cash into Prince Oswala’s private account.



What could possibly go wrong?



It was a done deal as far as I was concerned.



I immediately returned Prince Oswala’s email with a phone number of the IRS, instructing him to touch base with Agent Hobart.  Perhaps they could meet up and exchange stories and the $10,000 the Prince needs.  Plus the federal guvment could get another $22,500,000, for their coffers.  Problems solved.



Bad news, good news, you see.