Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, July 1, 2019

Personalized Tools




Many years ago there was a television show, Home Improvement, which starred Tim Allen as a fellow who regularly modified tools and home appliances for the sake of both inventing genius and amusement.



This weekly show had Tim “The Toolman” Taylor, played my Mr. Allen, creating such things as motorized beverage coolers, gas powered garbage disposals, and self-propelled recliners.  All this was done in jest, although The Toolman felt otherwise, much to the chagrin of his TV wife.



While this was fun and light-hearted, I took notes from him throughout the duration of the program and just realized how valuable they have become.



If you are an employee of OSHA – the Occupational Safety Health Administration – I suggest you quit reading here and find the Sudoku in the newspaper and tackle that, for your own good.



OSHA has been making tools and machinery safe for consumer and commercial use for decades, and had done a yeoman’s job.  Perhaps too good, though.



About 20-years ago I bought a self-propelled mower to replace a hand-me-down that was 18-years of age.



This new mower came fully equipped with individual wheel adjustments, a bagging attachment, and a dead man’s switch.



For the lawn mowing novice, a dead man’s switch is a device that must be constantly depressed lest the mower conk out.  It is so-named because a similar device is used on trains to ensure stoppage of a train should the engineer pass away while at the controls.



This thoughtful device is pure brilliance until you are mowing a lawn, that is.  Seasoned between the tall grass blades are hidden gum wrappers, sticks, kid’s toys, and dog poop that was all previously undiscovered.



That shouldn’t be a surprise as I have no kids, don’t chew gum, and have never owned a dog.  Sticks, I have aplenty, though.



So it is when I reach these obstacles I need to walk away from the mower pushing and begin the bending and picking up activities.  Unfortunately, this is where the aforementioned dead man’s switch becomes more of a nuisance than a safety device.



As soon as I let go of it, the mower stops.  Dead.  DEAD.



Now I have to restart the engine which, at this time, is warm and difficult to get running again.



A sleepless night and some Wild Turkey on-the-rocks gave me the answer I was seeking.  A few hours in the workshop enable to circumvent the dead man’s switch which meant I was now in control of my life, again.



Picking up debris from the grass, moving lawn furniture, and relocating potted plants, had now become the easiest my little corner of the world had witnessed in some time.



That is until last week when I needed to buy a new gas can.



It seems as though OSHA employees have raucous Christmas parties and desperately search for material to make the other office help laugh and laugh and laugh until next Christmas.



This past year they insisted all gas can sales include a pouring spout designed by someone with quite a sense of humor and lack of intelligence genes.



I filled the five-gallon plastic red can up and recapped it for the ride home.  Upon arrival, I tried to pour my recent purchase of 87-octane fuel into my Ferris mower.  And I tried.  And tried.  To no avail.



Worthy of the death penalty.  Really, as it nearly killed me.
I eventually removed the pouring spout which wouldn't pour and therefore wasn’t much of a spout.  But I digress.



Embossed in the black plastic of the spout were words that made no sense.  It instructed me to “press here” to pour, and “press here” to store.  Neither instruction worked.  Nothing came out of the can.



It was at this time I wondered what The Toolman would do.  While the pouring spout was off the gas can, I modified it with a five-pound sledge hammer/customizer, transforming it into even more useless junk than when I bought it.



I got out my funnel and poured the fuel directly through it – unsafely – into the mower.



Good work OSHA!