Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, May 6, 2019

Talk To Me




When consumer computers became available in the 1980’s, I was quick to pick one up; I didn’t want to be left behind in the world of technology.



I read comic books depicting humans traveling throughout the universe, watched movies and television shows about exploring outer space, and daydreamed of communicating with others, all with the benefit of computers.  I couldn’t be left behind!



I was thirteen-years old and in high school where an elective class, “Programming FORTRAN,” was offered, and I took it.  This 1960’s decision would be my vehicle to the future.



That was the most arduous class with which I have ever been involved.



Nothing in the FORTRAN language would work if the code was not correctly written and you didn’t know if it was incorrect unless and until you ran your code.  The absolute worst part was there was no indication where the error was inside hundreds of lines of code.



It didn’t take long to realize this field of study was not for me.  I proudly and confidently declared, “No one will ever use computers in the future.  EVER!”



As you can see, my prognostication skills were as keen then as they are now.



Still, I bought a Timex Sinclair T-1000 computer as my first machine.  I happily moved on to a Coleco Adam, then a Texas Instrument model, until I acquired a Dell and a Toshiba. 



And yes, I am now using a computer for typing this brilliant essay in the glass-enclosed nerve center of EasterShoreFishAndGame.com.



Sure, computers have changed, making them more user-friendly and robust over the decades.  Even my octogenarian Mother used a computer to navigate the internet, and I was proud of her.



When I first began EasterShoreFishAndGame.com, ten-years ago, I was encouraged to link up to Twitter and Facebook, as vehicles to expand our outreach.



On paper it sounded so good.  In theory it was brilliant; in practice it was a train wreck.



Twitter often changed their “rules” to improve their site.  They didn’t improve, if you ask me.



Facebook, on the other hand, promised to change, and didn’t.  Facebook is unlike most other websites such as PayPal, EBay, Google, Outlook, and Apple, have means by which a person is able to telephonically contact them for irresolvable issues.



And while I have been involved with computers since 1968, I often find myself adrift at sea, needing the assistance of helpline personnel – in other words, a human being.



Arrogant clown who is not a Congressman
In 2012, I discovered my Facebook account had been compromised, at which time I turned to Mark Zuckerberg’s crew for help.



It was at that point I realized no one at Facebook could be bothered to help me resolve this potentially damaging situation.



There was no direct contact with a human being to change or modify my account.  I wrote an email to them, only to have a return message saying I needed to send a photocopy of my driver’s license and other identification before Facebook would take any action.



That may seem reasonable to some, but remember that someone was monitoring and using my account without my knowledge.  To whom would I be sending my driver’s license and other identification?



Facebook arrogantly refused to answer this logical question, so I ceased using their service in 2012.



So it was curious that just this morning that I received an email from Facebook about possible sites that might be of interest to me.  Perhaps I could go to those sites to enjoy the pleasure of the internet.



I quickly unsubscribed from Facebook, again.  I hope they go out of business today.



I’m just saying.