Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, April 29, 2019

Empty Tissue Box




Today began as per usual – checking the interweb to see what Robert DiNiro and Adam Schiff were saying about President Donald Trump.



Adam Schiff imposter
Then it was off to the store to buy a get well card for a neighbor.



My sick neighbor was suddenly hospitalized.  I’d tell you what her ailment is, but the HIPPA law precludes me from doing so.



HIPAA is an acronym for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, and serves as a protector of privacy for individuals.  This is the reason crazy people buy guns with impunity.  But I digress.



My sainted wife and I thought buying her a hanging basket and card would be a nice gesture.



At the store, we were coincidentally greeted with copious amounts of various hanging baskets, all of which were so beautiful the selection process became difficult.



We chose a Gerbera Daisy and began looking for a card.



Our search logically started in the greeting card section.  There, we stumbled upon birthday, Easter, Passover, graduation, anniversary, retirement, sympathy, and congratulatory cards.



If you read closely, you would have noticed there was no mention of get well cards discovered.  In fact, I likely could have discovered platinum buried in a jar of tomato paste before I found get well cards.



My sainted wife, undeterred, left for a scavenger hunt to locate a sales nitwit to direct us toward the get well card section.  Eventually, she returned with a cross between an angered facade and baffled appearance. 



She was directed to the birthday, Easter, Passover, graduation, anniversary, retirement, sympathy, and congratulatory card section.



It should be mentioned that all these greeting cards were Hallmark cards, not inexpensive by any means.



We celebrated our wedding anniversary just recently.  I reluctantly purchased a piece of cardboard with printing and a ribbon for nearly six bucks!  Every day I toss out tons of cardboard that I will be “recycling” into greeting cards from now on.  But I digress, again.



On the way home, we stopped at the Dollar Tree and bought a get well card, of which they had plenty.  And, they were a reasonable fifty-cents, each.



As always, there is a valuable lesson hidden herein.  People on The Eastern Shore don’t sell or buy get well cards.  The only reasons I can think of is because Eastern Shore folks don’t get sick; but if they do, they don’t get well, and no one wants to offer false hope to the dying.



Visit our site again next week for tutorial on how to turn an empty tissue box into a greeting card.  A recycled greeting card, that is.