Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, February 25, 2019

On the Road




My sainted wife and I were taking a trip down memory lane when she began waxing nostalgic about trips she, and her family, took when she was a child.



Those words sounded very familiar to me, although I had never heard them from her lips before.



I closed my eyes and was taken back to a place that seemed as though we both inhabited, albeit at different times.  Then she screamed.



“Open your eyes!!!  You’re driving!!!”



Indeed I was.  But her story brought back memories of my childhood adventures with my own family, some of which I’d like to share.



She confided that her family drove a four-door black sedan, which acted much like an oven in the sweltering heat of Texas.



Her family was composed of a gaggle of sisters and a lonely, tormented brother, as well as a Mother and step-father.



Vacations for her, as well as my clan, were not as regular as one would think.  We rested and played when money was available.  There were no times that cash was actually flush, so our recreational life was sporadic, at best.



She recounted as to how they were piled into the road oven, four-deep, and given instructions to BE QUIET.



Just as trips in Upstate New York, Texas jaunts appear to be equally miserable.



My Dad was a hard working family man who didn’t say much; my Mom did most of the talking.  She provided “guidance” for my sister and I to avoid getting yelled at, and/or a thorough beating for not following orders.  Those orders consisted of BE QUIET, too.



My sainted wife recounted a trip – I’m sure there were many – when her Mother packed sandwiches for the family, for the trip.



As an aside, there was no such thing as fast food back then.  In fact, fast food was any critter that could flee like the wind – rabbits, deer, and game birds.  Mc Donald’s, Burger King, Hardee’s, and Wendy’s, had yet to be created.



Bathroom breaks were, unfortunately, available at service stations.  I say “unfortunately” because Dad’s cars got pretty good mileage resulting in four-hour treks betwixt toilets.



Contains bathrooms unused by my family
The gist of this adventure is that Mom’s sandwiches were peanut butter and jelly.  The unlucky part is that we weren’t allowed to have drinks with us, on the road; neither was my better-half’s family.



Such an important detail is often left out of the story.  Remember those great distances between toilets?  Drinking to wash peanut butter down your throat translated into “I’ve got to pee!  I’ve got to pee!”



There was no sympathy ricocheting about the car for anyone born with a bladder the size of a garbanzo bean, much like me.  But I digress.



As the old adage goes, “It’s not the destination; it’s the journey that make memories.”



I found it fascinating that my better half recalled those times similar to mine, and actually spoke fondly of them.



And all this time I thought my family had put the word “fun” in dysfunctional.  Evidently we didn’t own the market, which is refreshing.