Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, February 18, 2019

Happy to Leave




Here’s some good news: If you are not a Catholic – Roman, Coptic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Assyrian, or otherwise, you may stop reading now, and go clean your bathroom.



I have a really personal bone to pick with the Catholic Church, and it’s about time to tell the truth.



My formative years were spent in a blue collar town, attending a parochial elementary school.  That school was instrumental in ensuring our proper indoctrination into the faith by teaching daily catechism and Latin, so that we could pray and understand the ritual Mass.



We also attended church services on holy days of obligation, and the Ten Commandments were differentiated from the Ten Suggestions followed in other religions.  School time was all about treating one-another with kindness and respect – just as we would treat Jesus if he was in our presence.



This nine-year regimen ended with my attendance in a public high school; the differences between a parochial and public school were dramatic.  Standards were clearly apparent when it came to in-class, and home, work.  The ‘new’ subjects in high school had already been covered in sixth grade.  Excelling was fairly easy with no real challenges ahead.



But those religious teachings and church attendance habits remained throughout much of my adult life.



I continued to be present at church for every holy day, and the prescribed Sundays.



It was years later that I met my sainted girlfriend who would eventually become my sainted wife.  We set a date for our wedding, and the process began.  A reception hall was reserved, caterer hired, music obtained, and invitations engraved.



I called my thirteen-year parish pastor to attempt to obtain the church for our religious wedding.  It was at this point the pastor declined to talk to me because I needed to go to six-months of marriage counseling before the wedding.  I was unaware of such a thing.



We only had four-months before this special day was set, but this holy man promptly informed me that there was no room for discussion; the rules were carved into stone, and the onus was on me to comply.  Amen.



If I did not attend the counseling, and subsequently marry in the Catholic Church, I was going to be excommunicated.



In the event you are not Catholic, and don’t know what excommunication is, please allow me to explain.



Excommunication is the process of officially removing someone from receiving the sacraments of the Church.  In layman’s terms, I can no longer go to Mass, receive communion, and cannot go to Heaven because I can’t get the sacrament of extreme unction.



No appeal would be considered as the rules were the rules.  Nuff said.



That was a long way to get to my real gripe which officially begins here.



Although I still pray and actually attained ordination of my own in a different religion. Pope Francis, the infallible leader of the Roman Catholic Church, who many believe is a Communist plant, recently made a major announcement about severely declining attendance numbers.



It seems as though many, many Catholics are tired of Comrade Pope Francis’ ultra liberal directives that many feel are antithetical to traditional teachings in the catechism.



To better cope with this attendance dilemma, which goes hand-in-hand with cash revenue, Pope Francis is considering allowing older married men to become priests to serve and minister in remote areas of the globe.



Senator Kennedy's poor parking skills killed a woman, too
This news is distressing because it involves major policy alterations, much as the divorce and remarriage of the late Senator Edward Kennedy.  It also flies counter to Sitting New York Catholic Governor Mario Cuomo, who just introduced legislation to allow the murder of babies – up to the time they are exiting a woman’s womb.



It hurts me to see flagrant violators of Catholic policies and tenets be applauded, while my situation is stalled in limbo.



But all this reminds me of a Groucho Marx quote: “I don’t want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member.”