Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, October 8, 2018

Scare Me Once




Roll through my neighborhood this time of year and you will spot not only countless trucks and cars up on cinder blocks, but also tons of Halloween decorations.



Scarecrows, pumpkins, bales of straw and cornstalks, stuffed witches, and the customary chrysanthemums, dot the landscape.  This gives the impression time is nigh for the young ghosts and goblins to traipse about the streets begging for treats on lieu of tricks.



The Eastern Shore capitalizes on this special time of year with wine and cheese festivals, oyster roasts, barbeque chicken dinners, and firehouse fundraisers.



You see, the firehouses on The Shore are primarily staffed by volunteers – a Latin term meaning “good ol’ boys, ONLY!”



Betwixt the final NASCAR races of the season are varying winter prepping activities to include lawn mowing (or grass cutting depending on how rednecky you are), raking leaves, lawn aerating, cleaning gutters, and generally winterizing your homestead.



Outdoor power equipment must be drained of unused gasoline and replaced with a stabilizing juice that will allow your tools to eventually be restarted in the spring.



Boats need attention, too.  Ensuring anti-freeze replaces the precious cooling water from the other three seasons will prevent cracked engine blocks and rupture pipes, a costly mistake that is usually made and learned exactly once.



These annual rituals are minor tasks compared to the expensive repairs needed when they are skipped, whether intentionally or not.



And so the winter work begins.



While I was swapping stabilizing fluid for gas, my mind began wandering to when I was a kid with only one thing on my mind: Trick or Treating.



I grew up in a very cold climate where Halloween costumes were covered by warm parkas and mittens.  Masks were a no-no because they would freeze onto your face resulting in a crying episode when your Mother would attempt to yank it off; it wasn’t nearly as much fun as it sounds.



Neighbors were different then.  The old widows would pass out homemade popcorn balls, or candied apples, or loose change in the amount of 3 or 4 cents.



Not me and the boys
We traditionally scared the neighbors in bands of five, or so, kids.  We weren’t car thieves, or vandals, or a sect of the Hell’s Angels.  We were your paper boys, lawn mowing kids, and children who made a few cents off shoveling your sidewalks and driveways.  Still, we wanted that seasonal loot in the form of candy.



In retrospect, I don’t believe we really fooled anyone of our treaters; they simply played along.  And everyone was happy.



The evening would end with a television movie.  We didn’t have cable or satellite or VCRs.  We had rabbit ears carefully wrapped in aluminum foil that would impress NASA engineers.



Halloween movies were horror flicks such as Frankenstein, The Mummy, Dracula, all very scary to young’uns like us.



A big bowl of popcorn was made and the lights dimmed.  Conveniently, the same ghoul who was on Saturday night’s Creature Feature show hosted these Halloween specials from his usual crypt.



I’m sure my parents rolled their eyes at me.  My sister was four years younger than I, but nine years wiser and wasn’t fooled a bit, although I was terrified.  Terrified!



And just as with Christmas, Santa Claus disappeared from my radar when I realized he wasn’t real.



The aforementioned monsters showed their hands when I discovered the people who they killed in their movies were idiots in need of killing.



Those monsters waddled and took giant, slow, wobbly steps with arms extended.  It was years before I realized I could personally outrun them while blindfolded and hogtied.



Suddenly the scary in the scary movies became humorous fun.  Alas, I still want to go trick or treating rather than raking leaves.

Happy Halloween!