Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, September 24, 2018

Remote Control Chastity Belt




Yesterday evening my sainted wife was fortunate enough to grab the television remote control from me.



I normally control the “magic wand” because, like most women on the planet, my sainted wife always picks the wrong shows to watch.



She’ll tune-in those sappy shows about women dying of incurable diseases, all the while going through an entire box of premium tissues.



Premium tissues are those that are strong enough to contain a sneeze and a thorough nose-blowing.  Less-substantial tissues tear and allow mucus to gather onto your fingers thereby creating a web-like effect.  But I digress.



I generally watch educational programs that have little to do with soap operas or grown men kneeling on a football field, for any reason.



In any case, I left the room when she struck like a red tailed hawk grabbing a field mouse dinner, snatching the remote control.  Quick high-fives between her and Smokey, accompanied by toothy grins, sealed this electronics coup.



I returned to find the TV now tuned to a house shopping show.



It seems a though watching other people buy things is a popular event on television.



People who are members of the More-money-than-brains-club set about traipsing across select territories in an effort to incorporate more problems in their lives.



These potential buyers search for homes in the Caribbean, at the beach, on lakes, in the mountains, even perhaps next door to you.



I watched a couple of these episodes that all seemed to maintain similar formats.



The husbands are usually Mr. Milqetoasts, the wives are whiny, and not in a good way.  They are both well-dressed however the women look as though they belong in a biker bar rather than an upscale resort.



Rarely are the sources of purchase money disclosed.  Guessing these funds came from sizeable inheritances or drug sales, I would say that money would be better spent on tattoo removal procedures over a second home.



With the wives repeatedly carping about the tiny kitchens in these vacation properties, the husbands – with bowed heads – realize their much-desired man-cave will now be another pipe dream.  Worse, those guys will still be waking up next to their wives tomorrow morning.



Still, those tiny kitchens cause my sainted wife to pipe-up about our first house’s kitchen, ending up with, “I’ll show you tiny!” while angrily waving her fist.



Not our first house, but close
Our kitchen was 6x9’, with a gas range, sink, and refrigerator; it also had three doors and a window, all of which occupied valuable space needed for countertops.  It was termed a “galley kitchen.”  Elsewhere, it is called a steamer trunk.  But we made do.



And so these programs go for a sparing half-hour. 



Countless times they droningly repeat the words, “Is there enough room for our friends to visit?”  And, “But there is not a view!”



I’m going to come clean to the world.  There was not one time, when I was house-buying, that I was concerned about whether there was enough room for my friends to visit.  Sorry, friends.



And the view is equally unimportant as I won’t be seated in an overstuffed recliner looking out the window; I’ll be out doing things such as annoying my neighbors with motorized yard tools.



Invariably, the people select houses with their needs in mind, ending the wagering in our living room, with Smokey usually winning.



After being sated by these house searching shows, my sainted wife is now searching for a television program about mopping floors.  Yeah!