Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, March 6, 2017

Ice, Ice, Baby


It’s not often but, occasionally I talk to myself.  I meander into my workshop with intent, only to quickly realize the purpose was lost in a mere few steps.  That, is what we call a brain fart.  The verbal rambling begins, met by a blank stare from Smokey the cat.  Eventually I remember and start anew on my quest for whatever the original task was, and then complete it.



Still, along the way, a couple of sentences meant for no one but me were uttered uselessly.



I can’t really say this is a more frequent occurrence than before, just more annoying.  That is because I don’t have nearly as much on my mind as I did when I was gainfully employed.



So it was when I was on the phone attempting to acquire a manual for my refrigerator that I recalled my self-chatting and realized just how sane I was.



My sainted wife and I own a Samsung French door refrigerator with an ice maker.  Somewhere along the way the user manual became lost.  Don’t ask me where or how.



To attempt to rectify this seemingly insignificant issue, I simply found the phone number for Samsung on a sticker inside the wine cooler, aka: the vegetable tray.



I called and got an automated receptionist, aka: annoying woman’s voice.



Immediately, I was notified that this call would be monitored for quality control.  If someone was available to monitor this call, why not simply answer?



In any case, I was prompted to say my first name, and then spell it.  Next, I was asked to say my last name, and spell it.  In between these prompts were annoying sound effects attempting to simulate someone typing on a computer keyboard.  It was really hokey because after my first name – Uncle Paul – the fake computer clicks lasted for at least 18 seconds.  That’s enough time for a good secretary to type the Gettysburg Address.



Throughout all this clicking, I attempted to make small talk with my automated information taker.  I tried to converse about the weather and I even asked her for a date.  All fell on deaf digital ears.  There was no other person on the line, and I now realized that I was, once again, talking to myself. 



Three more minutes passed and I was informed I would be directed to a customer representative.  This time I was connected to a real life person who was fluent in Hindi.
Not an automatic ice maker




He was pleasant but, clearly he had no idea of the importance of self-dispensing ice crescents.



You see, the ice maker manufactures ice crescents rather than cubes.  Sure, they’re cute and all, but if you refer to them as ice cubes, they should be – at least – rectangular, if not cubed.  But I digress.



The fellow with whom I was now connected was named Afzal.  He was pleasant enough but not at all helpful.  He had real trouble pronouncing my name even after I has spoken clearly to the digital babe.



After providing Afzal with all my important information, including the refrigerator’s serial number, he informed me he could not provide me with a manual. Evidently, Samsung is poorer than I thought.



I needed to go on their website to download it.  That effort only consumed another twenty minutes.



I can’t wait for the call from Samsung to have me complete my satisfaction survey.  I’m going to write it in Hindi.