Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, March 27, 2017

A Day Out


It should come as no surprise that each of us find different ways to entertain ourselves.  Some of us go to the movies, some enjoy amusement parks, others like to visit the beach, while some have fun hiking through the woods.



Sure there are countless other ways to pleasantly pass the time but, there isn’t enough time to discuss them all.  That’s why I’m going to let you in on my personal ways to amuse myself.



A regular trip to my local shopping establishment, whose identity we’ll disguise by calling it Tallmart, provides me with inexpensive, healthy, and humorous time I consider well-spent.



My sainted wife, her friend, and I were cruising the aisles of Tallmart when I quickly discovered I was walking in a parallel universe.



The Male Ben Roethlisberger
Standing before me was a female Ben Roethlisberger.  I know it was him because I personally saw his name emblazoned on his Pittsburgh Steelers jersey.  Except he was a she.  And, she could have been a he.  I’m just saying.



Then I came across a woman who was wearing a very short dress made from cheese cloth.  Every ripple and piece of underwear was quite visible; it shouldn’t have been as this vision would clearly have been illegal in 38 states.  Of course I left my cell phone in the car.



Eventually, after the blindness left my eyes, I spied another Tallmart anomaly – some employee was actually doing some work, rather than standing around idly shooting the breeze with other equally idle employees.



Then it was off to the deli counter for some lunch meat.  I asked this woman for a pound of hard salami.  After several industrious minutes she placed the thin-sliced Italian delicacy on the scale.



This mass closely resembled a bird’s nest of monofilament fishing line.  I stared at it for a second; then I asked what she was doing.



“You said you wanted a pound of hard salami,” she snapped.



“Did you think of peeling the skin off before you began slicing?” was my question.



“You didn’t ask me to remove it!” was her retort.



As I marched away empty handed, I could hear her yelling that I forgot my order.  I didn’t.



After finding a manager, I explained this episode to her.  She shook her head and rued that all employees are here because they “passed the drug test.”



It seems as though competence, skills, knowledge, and playing well with others, is not critical to hiring at Tallmart.  Only the fact that you can pass a pee test is critical to the Tallmart dynasty.



This was the moment I realized why Tallmart was so darn entertaining. 



If someone in Benton, Arkansas is reading this, please consider changing your company policy regarding your hiring practices.



You might actually find some competent employees.  Or not.