Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, February 6, 2017

A Leak in the Bathroom


Some people are just plain luckier than others; I’m not lucky at all.



A few short months ago I visited my regular doctor who, during my regular examination, asked me if I got up during the night to pee; I told him I did.  In fact, I get up about every three hours.  It was at this time the doctor asked why.  Because I drink over one gallon of water a day, that’s why.



The fact I consume copious amounts of water each day is no secret I have been doing so for decades.  But, what goes in must come out.



So it was with interest that I read a news story about a transgender youth – Gavin Grimm – a senior in some Virginia high school, is being represented in a United States Supreme Court Case.



It seems Grimm, who was born a female but identifies as a male, was being prevented from using the boy’s room at his high school.



This is where it gets good.  The school actually allowed Grimm – I have no idea what gender to use in describing this oddity of nature – to use the boy’s bathroom for a bit.  But the Obama administration, the gift that keeps on giving, backed this goat rodeo of a mess.



Evidently, the guvment cited a policy that violates a federal law that bans sex discrimination in schools to make all the other students uncomfortable.  It reached the highest court when parents of fellow students thought this was not such a good idea.



This bounced from one venue to another until it reached the top of the legal heap.  March 28th of 2017 is the projected date of this historical hearing.



Here’s the rub from my viewpoint.



Grimm is in high school.  He/she went to school through at least nine previous years.  During those nine previous years he/she learned how to read, write, add, subtract, parse sentences, figure out how to find America and other countries on a map, perhaps learn a foreign language, how to don a condom, and construct verb tenses, and memorize the multiplication table, among other things.



During those arduous years, Grimm ate lunch, had physical education classes, and maybe played sports.



But the bottom line is I am willing to wager my entire retirement check that Grimm used the girl’s room in his/her earlier scholastic years.



At least once in those nine years, Grimm had to use the bathroom built and designated for girls.  And during that one girl’s bathroom visit, perhaps Grimm felt uncomfortable.  That is likely the case as this episode in feelgoodness has now spiraled out of control on the “I’m Offended” scale.



But it was only toward Grimm.  Now we’ve reached the point where this result of this decision will make practically everyone else feel uncomfortable in favor of he/she Grimm.



Still, if Grimm never peed in the girl’s room during those nine informative years, why would he/she suddenly need to pee now?



I’d love to know his/her secret so that I could use it to sleep all night long.



Gavin, if you read this, give me a call.