Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, February 13, 2017

Time Out


Since I was a little kid – back when Michael Jackson was a black child – I began wearing eyeglasses.  It was not a fun time because sports and most activities were not designed by, or for, people with corrective lenses.



Some people are able to wear contact lenses alas, I cannot.  Therefore, I am stuck wearing metal or plastic frames fitted with pieces of precision-ground plastic, in order for me to see things.



Throughout the course of time I ran across life’s speed bumps when I needed to augment my glasses with those thin ropes that attach to them so that they can be doffed without actually losing them. 



They simply hang down from your neck causing you to resemble a spinster librarian.  But, they certainly keep track of your spectacles.



I also had to endure the taunting by other non-glasses wearing little pukes.  It seemed to be their job to encircle me and chant “Four eyes, four eyes!” 



It’s not nearly as much fun as it sounds.  But, soon, those quickly-approaching geriatric conditions assclowns will be sporting their own glasses just to enable them to find their toilets.  But, I digress.



Four eyes!!!  I digress again.



So we must visit the adage by Plato, “Necessity is the mother of invention.”



Each night when I awaken to make sure I’m still alive and haven’t yet died in my sleep, I look at the alarm clock.  And each time I do this I must squint as I make my way across the body of my sainted wife to look at that clock.



You see, the alarm clock is on her side of the bed because she knows how to set both the time AND the alarm.  When the clock was on my side of the bed it perpetually flashed 12:00.



A few short years ago I came across something called a projection clock.. it’s called that because it projects the time onto the ceiling in big red numbers.

 

Even I can see the ceiling without my glasses, allowing me eventually find the time whilst on my back, at night, in bed.  And all was well.



That is until this projection clock lost one of its digital lines that help form the numerals.



You know what I’m talking about.  As the time advances little lines turn on to shine in the appropriate areas of the display, thereby forming figures that can be readily recognized as denoting times.



But three weeks ago, one of these lines simply disappeared.  It was the top, horizontal line that formed the top of one of the second minute line.  In other words, rather than reading 2:19 AM, the clock projected 2:14 AM.



To the average reader, that’s not a big deal.  Sure, it’s only five minutes off the real time however, I now want to know whether the line came back to life or, is it still the wrong time.



To remedy this I merely climbed over my sainted wife to check the time on the old alarm clock only to hear, “What the hell are you doing???”



A brief explanation didn’t earn me any miles.



This morning, though, the clock lost another two red lines making 2:19 AM read 2:1U.



This disturbing event caused me to begin doing math in order to figure out what time it genuinely was or could be.  My mind went straight back to my classmates yelling “Four eyes,” and how much I hated arithmetic.



Then my sainted wife punched me as I tried crawling over her to check the working clock.



I’m going to buy a new projection clock today.