Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, January 30, 2017

More Big Words


As many guys do when successfully completing a special task, they raise their hands in the air and demand, “High five!”



I’m not saying this is an exclusive activity to men but, being a man and living the life, I know about men better than I do about other sexes and sexual orientations.



We just finished planting fence posts into the freshly mixed cement, which was poured in perfectly spaced holes.  A few minutes passed and, during the inspection, someone shouted, “High five!”



The three of us gathered, doffed our caps with our left hands, and slapped the other hands with our right.



A small smile – more than a grin – simultaneously appeared on all three faces.  And all was good.  We instantly realized we were looking at another job well done.



We worked as a team, which some professional sports organizations often fail to do.  I also dare say we all would stand for the National Anthem if it was played.  But I digress.



Reflecting on that special moment in guy-hood, I began thinking about something I had heard in elementary school.  It was unnerving at thee time, and still induces ‘the willies’ in me when it dwell on it.



If you guessed polydactylism or hyperdactylism, you win!  If you just shook your head in awe, it was worth it for me to use such big words.  I occasionally slip big words such as “exsanguination” and “ablation” into my blogs, but rarely terms that conjure up something akin to cooties.



Polydactylism is when a cat, or a person, is born with six fingers or toes.  Hyperdactylism is when these people have six fingers on more than one had, or more than six toes on each foot.



Here’s the scoop.  Evidently this condition is not as uncommon as you would think.  This is a genetic condition that appears in art works in ancient Mesopotamia and Jordan, and in a Middle Ages painting of Adam and Eve, which depicts Adam with six fingers on his left hand.



I don’t recall seeing these additional digits in art references in school or museums, but I now need to make a return trip to some of these repositories of culture.



In any case, I needed to satisfy my curiosity about how many currently living people are subjects of polydactylism.



My extensive research – no thanks necessary – revealed a fairly sizeable list of prominent people, although I had never heard of most.



Gemma Arterton, an actress who appeared in a James Bond movie had an extra finger on each hand; Theodore Roosevelt “Hound Dog” Taylor, a blues guitarist, had six fingers on his left hand; a West Indies Cricketer, Garfield Sobers, was born with extra fingers on both hands; and Antonio Alfonseca, a baseball pitcher who floated among several professional teams during his career, was born with six fingers and was very proud of it.



I told you these folks were not big names that would evoke an, “Oh, my!” from most dedicated readers.



But I also discovered that two women, Halle Berry and Oprah Winfrey are both listed among famous people with extra fingers and/or toes.



So if you saw Antonio Alfonseca at a ballpark, and he just struck out the third man in the inning, would you yell, “High six!”?



I’m just saying…