Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, June 15, 2015

Getting’ Screwed Again


A few years back, a woman was burned by coffee at an Irish fast food establishment.  It seems as though she was in the drive-thru (that’s the lane outside the restaurant for skinny people that don’t need the exercise to walk inside to retrieve their food.)
 

She cleverly placed the hot beverage between her legs and promptly burned herself when the lid became dislodged.
 

Rather than being laughed out of court or shot for stupidity, the courts entertained her lawsuit.  Soon it became clear the judge and all twelve jurors were just as stupid as the plaintiff because amazingly she won $24,000,000 for burn salve and more coffee.
 

This leads me to tell you about an invitation I received to join a class-action lawsuit.  Years ago my sainted wife and I bought cell phones from a company that evidently overcharged us for the phones, service, and ear thingy that resembles a hearing aid.
 

To remedy this legal misdeed, we were told we could recoup our losses if we signed up to be party to this action.  We did.
 

A few months later, rather than a check for $200, we got a postcard good for 8% off our next phone purchase from these rat bastards.  We got screwed, not the phone company.
 

While in the grocery store yesterday, I was asked if I had my own bags.  I did not.  Rather than schlepping my goods to the car cradled in my arms like baby triplets, I was forced to buy five bags.
 

Times were not far gone when you were instead asked whether you’d like paper or plastic.  Then, if you wanted paper, it would cost you 5¢ per bag.  Instead of paying the extra cash for recyclable paper ones, they merely forced plastic ones on you.  Now, they charge for the plastic ones unless you brought your own containers.  Screwed again.
 

Last summer when I bought four tires, I was made to pay not only sales tax and federal excise tax, but also a tire disposal fee.  This fee amounted to $2 per tire.  Not excessive but, not necessary, either.  Screwed again.
 

So it was with interest that while I was watching a golf game on TV, I noticed that a professional golfer hit an errant ball into the throngs of spectators lining the fairway.  This evidently inattentive fan was summarily beaned by the ball.  He was rushed to the hospital for treatment and observation. 
 

On the plus side, the offending duffer gave him a signed golf glove to show his concern.  I’m certain that was worth countless pennies for that hospital bill.  Screwed again.
 

As Aesop would say, the moral of the story is: place boiling coffee between your legs if you want to get ahead in life.