Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, June 1, 2015

Bewildering Spree

Time changes lots of things in ones life.  The older we get the more we should realize what works and what doesn’t, and hopefully we are able to distinguish between the two.
 
Guys aren’t given a domestic handbook when they leave the fold.  Guys have to figure all that stuff out by trial and error, and then we suffer for it the rest of our lives.
 
If you think this about road rage, it isn’t.  This is about growing older and wiser and knowing what to buy at the grocery store.
 
 Young, single men may have muscles, facial hair, and a sense of flair but, they have no clue as to what a nutritious meal consists of.
 
Grocery stores are the women’s playground, enjoyed second only to a shoe store.  Guys, on the other hand, see it as a semi-civilized version of waterboarding.
 
I used to shop for my grandmother and mother at any one of a couple of local grocery stores.
 
The option was mine, and the selection was based upon which trading stamps I needed to complete my book.
 
For the uninitiated, trading stamps came in several varieties to include SSS, Plaid, and S&H.  All were doled out based on the purchase price.  They were usually given out based on ten-cent denominations of the sale, and placed in a book.  Once the book was filled, they could be redeemed for very usable things such as bait pails and folding aluminum lawn chairs.
 
This gimmick was supposed to lure shoppers into their businesses rather than their competitor’s.
 
Even gas stations gave out these stamps.  Alas, they are no more.  But, I digress.
 
My first trip to a grocery store as a bachelor found me bringing home all the nutritional necessities: potato chips, beer, and frosting.
 
Today, however, shopping as a married codger is a bid more challenging.  The grocery cart often resembles a farm wagon laden with unidentifiable green stuff – leaves and roots dangling from the miniature chrome prison bars of the wobbly supermarket cart.
 
Of course there’s the given.  Steaks, burgers, and beer, are all at the top of my food pyramid, right behind bacon and butter.
 
My sainted wife often has other nonsensical ideas with things called kale and grits.  Oatmeal is another mystery food that I have only seen in cookies.  And why would we need cumin and adobo?
 
Nonetheless, I now realize the error of my ways throughout my life.  And I now know what the words from the great baseball player Mickey Mantle mean: "If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."