Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, September 8, 2014

How Much?

Way back when, in 1952, Patti Page sang a song entitled, “My Jealous Eyes.”  The good news is that when you tired of that song, you could turn to the flip side of your ‘45’ to listen to, “(How Much For) That Doggie in the Window?”
 
A ‘45’ is a 45-RPM disc that was originally made of wax, and later of vinyl, eventually being dubbed a “record.”  Kids would go to a record store to buy their favorite record and listen to it on a hi-fi.  But, I digress.
 
For nearly three-minutes, we heard Ms. Page whine about getting a dog from a pet store to keep her boyfriend company in her absence.
 
Most notably is that she never gets the actual price of that dog.  This is a splendid example of why commerce is dying today.
 
Practically every business in the world has a website that touts their wares to anyone and everyone that visits.
 
Websites need the businesses to “rent” a domain name, which costs money.  Once established, they need someone to design and create the graphics of the site.  Often, professionals – with the business’ input – add photos, names, contact numbers, addresses, product lists, corporate information, that makes their product appealing to the masses.  Once again, an important thing to include is the price.
 
Too often, though, businesses omit the price because they want your contact information so that can badger you at a later date.
 
On paper, that strategy sounds great but, these companies never get my info because I don’t want to have to dicker with a salesperson three weeks from now, before I simply hang-up on them.  Suddenly, these clever marketers went from sale to no-sale in just a few seconds, with no chance of my returning to waste more time.
 
Try getting an idea how much new windows will cost.  Window manufacturers will show you frames made from wood, vinyl, or even aluminum, with varying numbers of glass panes, some with tinting, and a few with special gas sandwiched in between.
 
There is a basic cost to assemble these parts at which they must be sold in order for the seller to make a profit, and any extras will merely add to that cost.
 
Rather than simply giving that price, they will note that after a form is completed, a sales representative will call with “more information.”
 
These smarmy strategies can be found on vehicle websites, carpet and flooring sites, and those websites that want to install new bathrooms and kitchens.
 
I’m an adult and realize a new vehicle price is not the price for which I will buy that car or truck.  Added thereon will taxes, license plates, registration, and perhaps a “delivery fee,” whatever that is.  That truck had to be delivered somewhere; I don’t really know if I paid a “delivery fee” on my zucchini and cauliflower in the market. 
 
Besides, did they ship my new truck one-at-a-time or with seven others on a hauler?  Remember that each one is being charged that “delivery fee.”
 
I also expect that any carpeting I buy will cost me money for padding and installation, thereby adding to the advertised price.  I don’t need or expect some telephone clown to try to up-sell me on tack strips.
 
In any case, if you have a company and a website, simply add prices of your products or services if you’d like to sell anything so I don’t have to ask about that doggy in the window.