Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, March 24, 2014

Frank Royalty

Being someone who enjoys eating, I had to learn to cook in order to save time and money.  Time, because traveling to and from restaurants, is costly; Money, because I’d rather tip myself than some strange waiter who secretly wants me to leave the restaurant.
 

At work I would talk to the women who were more than eager and willing to share culinary secrets with a kitchen novice such as me.
 

Hot dogs were becoming boring but, just as with ice, I had a good recipe.  And, you stick with what works.
 

As a bachelor, my cupboards were somewhat bare except for a few spices in vein of salt, pepper, hot sauce, and garlic powder.  Something exotic such as baking soda would errantly wander in but, that was rare.  Tooth picks and napkins were the rule.

 
So it was with great enthusiasm that I listened to all those wonderfully helpful and anxious women dishing out cooking hints.
 

They brought in recipes and usually had to add a verbal tip that somehow got left out of the written instructions.
 

“Oh, don’t forget to let it cook for and extra ten minutes for every pound,” they would insert in a squeaky Southern voice.  And then add, “350 degrees if under six pounds, 375 if over,” was another important fact that should not have been missing.
 

To avoid any such problems in the “real kitchen world,” I figured I would simply buy a real recipe book.
 

Much like panhandlers, cookbooks are everywhere.  Usually they are listed by food groups such as meats, desserts, grilling, and even special diets in the order of meals for vegetarians, and diabetics.
 

These books are written for the masses and I assumed – wrongly – that following these written kitchen roadmaps to cuisine Eden would be fairly simple to follow.
 

Zucchini-stuffed chicken seemed like a good beginning since I liked both zucchini and chicken.  This particular recipe called for two three-pound roasters; I immediately saw the need to half these instructions which called for some things like rice, chicken broth, zucchini, carrots, onions, and the basics of salt and pepper.
 

But, then came the ringer.  I call these stupid ingredients “ringers” because they either don’t exist or people feel they won’t use them and wind-up with an awful meal that can be blamed on the absence of those ringers.
 

My zucchini/chicken meal called to something called “chervil.”  As old as I am, I still do not know what chervil is and, have never bought any.
 

Being a tad short on chervil, the next recipe candidate was mustard-glazed country ribs, since I love pork ribs.  Once again, the four pounds were reduced to two and I shopped for the balance of the ingredients.  Sugar, vinegar, mustard, onion, garlic, salt, celery seed, and finally turmeric, comprised the list of fixin’s.
 

Once again, turmeric was the ringer and must be in the chervil family of must-haves.  I looked at chicken soup recipes, but that required saffron which – unbeknownst to me – was selling for the premium price of $139 an ounce!
 

It wasn’t long before I returned to work and began talking with the ladies about my stellar cooking skills that consisted of being able to prepare a hot dog nine different ways.  Call me the “Hot Dog King.”