Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, March 4, 2013

Painful!


Nearly everyone I know enjoys a challenge of some sort.  Some have a talent to take a block of wood, seven paper clips, and an old chicken bone, and make an armoire.  Others can grab a cup of flour, an egg, peanut butter, and a paper towel to contrive a Smith Island cake.  And, others still like to defy themselves to rebuild cars with little more than a spatula.
 
I, personally, possess no special worldly skills so, I challenge myself by watching “Jeopardy!”  This is a half-hour television program that runs daily, in syndication, and draws fools such as me who really want to believe I have knowledge.  I don’t.
 
Mesmerized by the three contestants, I am regularly glued to the TV to see if I know any of the answers.  Actually, the host, Alex Trebeck, give you the answers and you must supply the question.  For instance, “Stupid people who waste time,” is the answer; “Jeopardy! Watchers,” would be the question.
 
Mr. Trebeck is not only smug but also a Canadian.  He seems to enjoy correcting incorrect answers with a glimmer in his eye.  Remember though, he has all the answers written down for his pleasure.
 
Offering a variety of answers, the contestants chose from categories that often contain material that is absolutely foreign to me.  My least favorite are “Opera Highlights of the 1800’s,” “Esteemed Poets From Cork County, Ireland,” and “Oscar Winners Whose Names End in the Letter ‘L’”.
 
The more difficult the answer, the higher the cash prize for that question.  In the event an incorrect question if given, that amount is deducted from that person’s score.  At the end of the game, the person with the highest amount of money wins.
 
But, there is a final question in which all participants with cash can wager any amount of that money.  Only the category is given before the answer is revealed.  Needless to say, these answers are even harder than the rest of those in the game.
 
These final Jeopardy! Categories include “Shoe Sizes of 1960’s NBA Players,” “Kentucky Fried Chicken Secret Recipe Ingredients,” and “Number of Roofing Tiles on Famous European Castles.”
 
Very little of the information necessary to successfully provide a question can be found in People, Elle, or Southern Living magazines.  Rather, one would need to peruse encyclopedias, trade journals, and Mensa publications, or old newspapers. 
 
I don’t personally keep track of the questions I get correct but, my sainted wife does.  As of today, I have accumulated the stunning amount of $200; I feel the amount should be closer to $378,000.  Although this represents nearly a decade of watching, I believe that is quite an accomplishment.
 
Most of the contestants appear rather geeky, meaning they look as though they were severely bullied or otherwise picked-on as children, thus turning into anti-social types who regularly turn to books and equally generally awkward company for companionship.
 
This doesn’t mean they cannot interact with other normally appearing individuals.  It means their of idea of a raucous Saturday evening is a date with Masterpiece Theater.  Crack open the flavored water!
 
Sure, I’m jealous that these nerds know how to make their own ‘tahini,’ and can name the Gutenberg Bible’s typesetter’s grandmother.
 
I guess we all have our special torture.  Give me a waterboard any day.