Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, February 3, 2020

Cheater




Keeping one’s mind active in the stages of advanced aging is critical, according to my doctors.  It supposedly prevents one from repeating oneself in conversations.  Keeping one’s mind active in the stages of advanced aging is critical, according to my doctors.  It supposedly prevents one from repeating oneself.  Ha ha.



To maintain a good handle on a sharp mind I regularly engage in both paper and computer games.



Crossword puzzles and the like help me retain my rapier-like thought process, as I limit myself to completing daily newspaper crosswords to ten-minutes, and Sunday puzzles to an hour.



I also occupy my free time with other games, and so I fill that excess space with computer challenges, such as my email system and Scrabble.



This Scrabble game is both entertaining and mind-jogging, simultaneously.  Beginning as a board game, it has evolved into a computer game that allows society to use it on-the-go.



Playing against the computer, the electronic challenger is named “Maven” by the game designer.  The very definition of the word Maven is expert, or connoisseur.  After playing several hundred games I can tell you, with authority, that she is neither, but is a first-class cheater.



Anyone who ever played Scrabble knows that it is a game that consists of tiles and a graph-like board.  The tiles
are selected to replace those played until the “well” of unused tiles is empty.  The first player to exhaust their supply of tiles ends the game; the highest point holder at that time, wins.



Words you assemble from those tiles comprise the scoring system, with the hardest tiles to form words worth more points.



For example, Q, J, K, W, Z, and X, are difficult tiles to use in words.  Keep in mind that to use a Q, you usually need an adjoining U; it’s difficult to think of words with a Q that don’t utilize a U.  Quiz, squire, square, squirt, queen, aqua, are only a few.  And because of the rare number of words assembled with a Q, the Q tile is worth ten points.



Other, more common letters are worth only one point.  But enough about the game.



Maven has the built-in ability to challenge your words, unlike your ability to challenge hers.



She doesn’t recognize words such as oxen, ade, or homeboy.  I know, because I tried to use them.



She also uses words with which I am unfamiliar, such as vanadic, genitor, and trapezii.  Of course, it would probably behoove me to become a better speller.



Just to keep the games more honest, I often insert odd words that I use regularly, although they may not be legitimate.  Words such as buttclown, schiffliar, pottymouth, and pelosiloser, are just a few.



Of course, Maven challenges them every time.



So it’s not fair to play against a computer that plays a game which was incorrectly programmed to not recognize valid English language words like meatjug.



After all, who is to say a regularly used word shouldn’t be programmed in to keep up with changing times?



In fact, later I plan on going to Tallmart to buy two meatjugs.  I told you it was a valid word.