Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, November 25, 2019

Ask Me! Ask Me!




In the Sunday newspaper, a column appears that addresses any number of questions plaguing readers.  Marilyn vos Savant is the columnist whose claim to fame is her astronomical IQ.



Through her columns she often fields questions and introduces puzzles to the average reader under the guise of informing people; she actually winds up demonstrating how uninformed they are, though, and that includes me.



Here’s a puzzle that would be right at home in her wildly popular space:

Q:  What do these things all have in common?

Tables, chairs, wristwatches, boxes, jars, bags, countertops, Venetian blinds, cars, refrigerators, trucks, computers, toilet brushes, flatware, pens, Al Gore, and carpets



Normally, this is when Ms. vos Savant announces the answer “appears at the end of this column.”  I, on the other hand, won’t make you wait.



A:  All these items are made totally or partially from plastic.



And this is where the story begins.



May sainted wife was wiping down the refrigerator when she stumbled upon a secret of mine.  I use the fridge as a filing cabinet.



First up was a calendar affixed to the big fridge door.  “Does this need to be hanging up here?” was her initial silly question.



“Of course,” would have been the answer if I wasn’t drinking hot coffee.



But before the words could sneak out of my unzipped mouth, she asked another question, then another, and another…



Quickly resembling an action-packed game show, I felt I was losing this machinegun-like interrogation.



We’ve been married for about three blessed decades, and have had a refrigerator in our home for all those years.  But suddenly she discovered that it was covered with stuff that wasn’t applied at the factory.  Sherlock Holmes would’ve been proud.



Calendars, baseball game schedules, business cards, lists of prescription pills, are among the precious reference materials, within easy reach.

If it's important, it's here


The reason all this stuff is attached to the refrigerator is that the exterior is made of ferrous metal.



Ferrous metal is a metal that contains iron, which is smelted into steel.  Being ferrous means it will handily hold magnets.  Magnets hold papers.  Hence, you now have a kitchen filing system.  You’re welcome.



Unfortunately, not all people are visionaries.  And since my sainted wife doesn’t read this stuff I write, I am able to tell you the unvarnished truth.



I often give her things – warranty related – to submit and file, for future reference, and all that paperwork winds up in one of those giant plastic bins under the bed without rhyme or reason.  If I should need one of those documents, it takes roughly two or three months to locate.



Ergo, I now file most of my own paperwork on which I will likely need sooner, rather than later.  And that is why the refrigerator was made from ferrous metal.



Now, in the vein of Ms. vos Savant, I offer my own puzzle for you.



Q:  Where can calendars, business cards, baseball game schedules, grocery lists, and prescription lists, be found?



The answer can be found at the end of this column.



A:  On my refrigerator.