Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, March 11, 2019

No, Really




As I wind my way through life, I like to compare my new ventures with old ones already experienced.  And over time I realize just how much times have changed, and maybe not for the better.  Here are two examples.



I recall biking through the sidewalks of town when I was only five-years old.  I didn’t travel far because my legs were small and I had nowhere to actually go.  Sure, a quick trip to the local corner store for an ice cream sandwich or six-ounce bottle of soda was the norm, but those were the big adventures as a young’un.


In due course I progressed and my bike got bigger as I got taller, and the trips got longer.  It wasn’t long before my mini jaunts evolved into twelve mile runs to work.



My bike days were something I desperately wanted to end because now my buddies were driving cars, not riding bikes.  But that was for the reason that they came from more affluent families that could afford to buy their kids cars, and pay for high-priced insurance.



Because of my learned work ethic and money saving gene, I accumulated enough cash to purchase a very used car that was more trouble than biking anywhere.  Unfortunately, my dates weren’t interested in going out on a Schwinn.  Alas.



Being back in the social swing of things, my buddies were learning to play card games. Games such as pinochle, rummy, blackjack, and poker, were popular back then, and the “guys” were not only learning these games, they often decided to invent their own rules.  Of course, those new rules were always biased toward the rule inventors, don’t you know.



Once again, though, because of all the new, creative card game rules – rules that would make Hoyle turn over in his grave – we decided there were other more, civil and honest ways to enjoy Friday and Saturday and holiday evenings.



Thinking back on those biking days, I never thought about using any type of steroid to better enable myself to ride further, faster.  I relied on old fashioned developled muscles to help propel me to my next two-wheeled trip.



So it was with interest that in 2012, American bicyclist Lance Armstrong was stripped of his winnings in various cycling events including the Tour de France.  Armstrong wasn’t the only bike riding guy to be accused of doping – using illegal drugs to obtain an advantage over their competitors – but he was the most infamous, and that ain’t good.



Cyclists and a sundry of other athletes in most competitive events seek an edge to win-at-all-costs.  This is not fair to fellow athletes who do not use illegal and/or questionable products that enhance the athletes’ bodies to outperform non-cheaters.  Faster and further and stronger are the results of doping, which is why those products are illegal in competitive sports.



That being said, I also never thought about using steroids when playing cards with the boys.



This is where I’m stopping writing; I’ll wait for you to catch up in case you need to go back and re-read this essay.



Some fellow named Geir Helgemo, a 49-year old card player from Norway, is the world’s top-ranked bridge player who was just suspended by the World Bridge Federation.  It seems as though, Helgemo was suspended after he tested positive for two banned substances.  No, really.



Whoa!
Now, not being a medical professional – and hardly being able to pronounce some of the medications I’m prescribed – I can’t think of any benefit using performance enhancing drugs Helgemo would receive.  Sure, I realize bridge is a very demanding game, but not quite on the level of slalom skiing or long distance running or Olympic beer drinking.  But I digress.



Once again, I wouldn’t have thought I might have won a few more poker hands with the guys if I used some performance enhancing substances.



But if you readers have a clue, please let me know.  I’m really, really curious.  I’ll pass that information onto Lance and Geir for you.  Thanks.