Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, March 18, 2019

Back to School




Some decades ago I lost contact with a cousin who was the luckiest person alive.  He was about 30-years old at the time, married, with no job, and still going to school.



He was able to do this because he married a lovely woman who catered to his ego and worked full-time in order for him to attend school full-time.



It’s not as if he was working on a doctorate, rather he was allergic to work of any kind, and scholastics was a way to fulfill his goal – loaf.  And he was good at it.



I, on the other hand, couldn’t wait to get out of the educational system because, unlike my cousin, I wasn’t very good at it.



Learning was one of those things in life that put my nerves on edge.  Three different courses demanded simultaneous research papers, in addition to regular homework and classes.  Thrown in for good measure was my effort to pay for my own education without the help of guvment or a student loan or my parents; that meant part-time jobs, too.



To say my schedule was a bit crowded would be an understatement.  Besides, I didn’t have a sugar mama on which to rely for money, or even dream taxpayers would foot the bill for my schooling.  But I digress.



I thought of this lazy kin when I was mixing dangerous chemicals today.



My ornamental garden beds were flush with early spring weeds, and those weeds needed killing.  I broke out last year’s pump sprayer and a bottle of defoliant concentrate to assist with the weed murders.
Weed assassination device




A defoliant is one of those chemicals that the People’s Republic of California deemed a carcinogen.  For all you Canadians, carcinogens are things that cause cancer.  I’m not sure if the weeds die from cancer or some other malady.  In any case, they had to be eliminated.



Because of the six-month gap since my last use of this chemical and subsequent lack of mixing recall, I turned to the instructions attached to the bottle, since this concentrate required mixing with the appropriate amount of water.



Therein were twelve plastic-coated pages – in both English and Spanish – detailing what sort of weeds and grasses this defoliant would defoliate, and pronto.



On page eight, in itsy-bitsy lettering were the mixing instructions.  Sure, our well water is probably more toxic than most commercial defoliants; nonetheless, I spent $18 on this bottle.



To be fair, enclosed with the bottle of defoliant was a plastic cap that doubled as a measuring cup, likely to preclude your average amateur gardener from using the household measuring cups to meter out poison.  That’s my best guess, anyway.



The measuring paragraphs began with third grade basics.



One tablespoon = three teaspoons

Two tablespoons = one ounce

Five tablespoons + one teaspoon = 1/3 cup



Figuring there was a math quiz at the end of this novelette, I paid especially close attention.



When I reached the 16 tablespoons = one cup portion, I decided to skip over to the next paragraph.



This is where the important information had lain.  In order to make one gallon of weed killing juice, I needed to mix two ounces of poison with a gallon of water.



A quick look back at the previous paragraph indicated I needed to do math.  If two tablespoons = one ounce, four tablespoons = two ounces.



That wasn’t so very hard.  What was hard was comprehending how the company that manufactured this chemical didn’t place a line inside the included measuring cup; the line would indicate the appropriate measurement for the defoliant concentrate.



Perhaps it’s not the chemical that is dangerous.  Maybe it’s the poor math skills of the end-users that make it dangerous.



Maybe I should have called my lucky cousin for the math answer.



I’m just saying.