Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, December 3, 2018

Blinded By the Lights




It happens every year and is both exciting and painful for me and countless others.



If you guessed The Oscars, you’re right.  But the first paragraph also applies to Christmas.



I love Christmas and always have.  I have expectations that are well beyond those of mortal humans.  The tree must be perfect, tablecloths pressed, poinsettias bright red or white, and illumination devices operational.



For Canadians, illumination devices are Christmas lights.



I’m certain my family tree has Rhesus monkeys somewhere therein because I simply adore shiny things and colorful lights.



Christmas is that special time of year when I can decorate my house to closely resemble Liberace on acid.



Clearly not enough lights, but a good start
In fact, a few years ago, a stick-in-the-mud used to reside across the street from me.  It was immediately after Thanksgiving Day when I began decorating our house, both inside and out.



After hours of work, I took a moment to step back and admire my efforts.  This prude ambled across the road, and while standing beside me uttered the words, “Sometimes less is more.”



Of course she was wrong.  She was not making my mortgage payments, and thus had little say as to how, and with what, I adorned my humble abode.  Amen.



I ignored her and silently walked away to add even more twinkling lights and candy canes and a plastic Santa.



This year, though, I needed more lights for my exterior illumination effort.  I purchased a modest several sets of lights that appear to be old-fashioned C6 bulb fixtures, but have innerds that contain modern LED bulbs.



According to the package, LED bulbs are supposed to last 10,000 hours – the equivalent of standing in line at the grocery store to purchase a box of macaroni.



After arriving home, my sainted wife and I carefully removed these new treasures from their packages.  We didn’t say much to each other because we were carefully listening for the phone to ring.



I was expecting a call from Mrs. Trump for decorating hints, alas, she didn’t phone.  But I digress.



In any case, we dutifully plugged these leads in to ensure they were in fine working order; they were.



Out came the folding ladder, eave clips, and extension cords, all to assist with the tasteful application process.



A tape measure helped with keeping this lighting masterpiece centered.



The process went like this: eave clip, light, light, eave clip, light, light, move the ladder.  Repeat.



This procedure continued for nearly 45-minutes.  Then a completed product was unveiled.



There were no smoldering wires or broken shingles, no broken windows or bones, either.  The smell in the air was that of success.


Hours later when darkness fell, we wound our way outdoors to better examine our latest creation.  The ta-das! were deflated by one non-working string of the long-lasting LED light strings.  Yes, the new ones.



Out came the ladder again, along with a flashlight and an attitude.



Neighbors peered through curtained windows to see what the clamor was about.  My sainted wife and I were whispering as though we were on the 18th hole of the Masters Tournament; I’m not sure why.



After 20-minutes of this surgical-like examination, we decided to opt for a decades-old set of icicle lights as a replacement.



Oddly enough, the icicle lights worked – both before and after they were hung on the house.



We celebrated with smiles and a tender hug.  And now we finally can irritate the neighbors with aplomb.