Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, August 6, 2018

Fool Me Twice




Neighbors packing to skip out on their rent woke me with annoying noise at 4:00 AM.  After tossing about the bed for fifteen minutes, or so, Smokey and I got up to begin the day.



To drown out the snoring from my still-sleeping sainted wife, I switched on the television.



World news berating President Trump for inching closer to world peace forced me to surf through the remaining 914 satellite channels desperately searching for something to watch.  Pickin’s were slim.



Eventually, after developing a callous on my channel button thumb, I discovered I received something called Animal Planet, aka.: APL.



APL is critter-oriented with shows about everything from gerbils to whatever eats them and what eats the eaters.



The show had already begun when I came upon a guy with a British accent in search of the elusive “gbanai.”



According to repeated recaps, a gbanai is a seldom seen aquatic creature that lives on the land, floats on the water, has lots of teeth, and eats well.  This expedition was being conducted in a location I missed because of my thumb cramp causing me to miss the opening information.  Evidently, this gbanai thing is a living dinosaur.  Wow!



This British fellow was making his way down some sort of river that closely resembled a cesspool – chocolate colored water with debris that could have popped out of a garbage disposal.  He was seated in an inflatable rubber raft.



The description of this gbanai called to mind a crocodile, but I’m certain the drama level would be far less if a spade was actually called a spade.



This guy and his entourage stopped to spend the night on land with a witness who had seen this gbanai thing on several different occasions.  In pretty good English, this jungle dweller explained they needed to travel another hour down-river to reach the infamous gbanai home turf.



At the crack of dawn, the crew was making their way through swirling dirty eddies in primitive canoes and that previously-mentioned pool toy.  Of course, one of the canoes sprung a leak, sinking the already questionable vessel along with some cameras and cheez crackers.



This river parade continued in the name of science.



In between the four-minute portions of the show were interlaced countless five-minute commercials for the SPCA, trying to guilt viewers into submitting only $20 per month to save starving, mistreated animals.



Realizing this show could have been run in roughly a third of the time, I began thinking about the reality of this reality program.



Since I am a news junkie, I catch copious amounts of information on pretty much everything, including royal weddings and cashew farm watering regulations.



Maybe a gbanai?  Maybe not.
In all my years I have never heard of the discovery of a gbanai, or any dinosaur, by a British man, in some third-world country.  I’m certain even the New York Times couldn’t suppress that news.



It was an epiphany that I had been duped into wasting all this time watching and waiting for a bunch of hapless river hunters look for a crocodile.



I switched it off promising myself to never watch another one of these half-baked sensational shows.



You’ll need to excuse me because now I’m looking for an educational program on bigfoot.