Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, January 1, 2018

Perhaps Kwanzaa


Optimists are an odd bunch.  They are the proverbial glass-half-full crowd that is always smiling.



My lengthy life has not been a bed of nails, but I don’t wear a perpetual stupid grin, either.



For some reason that I cannot figure out, optimists are perpetually happy.



December 26th, I left the homestead to get some bread and Swiss cheese to go along with my honey-glazed ham, previously enjoyed on December 25th.



My local Tallmart was both nearby and chock full of shoppers agog for the holiday leftovers.  Although no geriatrics were wielding canes or bags full of cat food at one another, a sort of spirit was in the air, nonetheless.



People loudly yakking on their cell phones to friends who were likely still abed, or shopping with equal verve elsewhere, were attempting to coordinate the best way to capitalize on post-holiday bargains.  The scene was wild.



They intentionally blocked aisle ways to keep competitor shoppers away from the potential remaining goodies on the nearly barren shelves.



I watched captivated as frumpy 65+-year old women wearing Spandex, and hobo-like sweatshirts, systematically pick over the dregs.



Wrapping paper, ribbon, pre-tied bows, tree ornaments, plastic candy canes, and tree skirts with that glitter that winds up all over the carpet and cat, were making their way to homes in preparation for next year’s display.



Kwanzaa depiction
Clearly these shoppers have lots of spirit and hope.  Hope that they live another eleven months to be able to unpack and set up new displays consisting of this post-Christmas loot.  Perhaps this is just a timely Kwanzaa shopping spree.  I didn’t know.



These people are the ultimate in optimists.



Not saying I’m overly sickly, but I don’t buy green bananas just in case I don’t live to see them ripen.



I also buy annual calendars in July because they are six months in length, and they are really inexpensive.  But I digress.



 What I was witnessing was a ritual that occurs annually across America, just behind Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Drunken Christmas / Hanukkah Party at Uncle Paul’s and Christmas Day.



I admire folks who want to get a bargain.  I also applaud people who have the room to store all that wrapping paper, and those giant wire reindeer with miniature lights inside their gullets.  My house is small – my storage shed is just slightly larger enough to squeeze a wallet inside.



In any case, being a pessimist may not be as bad as it sounds.



Now off to figure out a personal New Year’s resolution.