Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, August 21, 2017

Lightning




Each year at tax time, without fail, some news story will rise to the top of all others.  Invariably that story will focus on the person who feels overburdened; to make that point, they wind up paying their assessment in pennies.



Equally as entertaining are those non-tax time stories about local municipalities who really, really need the money and the taxee doesn’t.  So the taxee gets creative by wheeling a wheel barrow into the tax assessor’s office, closely followed by the eager media.



Camera flashes and guffaws from onlookers fill the television.  A startled, bespectacled clerk in a flowered nylon dress completes this scene, with the narrating news-readers smiling about how all that loose change will occupy the valuable civil servant time.



People like me cheer those rebels of local government because of the creativity and arrogance.  Because the money turned over is legal tender, it must be accepted.  Pesos and Euros are not adequate.



Here is where today’s story begins. 



I am a regular lottery player.  The Powerball and Megamillions are two games that eagerly await my money each week.  Now some readers are laughing at me because what I am doing is paying a “voluntary” tax.



This cash is nothing more than a vehicle to fill the state and local government coffers with money from idiots like me, gleefully sauntering into my favorite lottery-selling store, and plunking down a couple of bucks.



I don’t complain, carp, tear up, or whine; I just hand over the money with a smile.  And each week I discover I didn’t win, again.  And again I go out to pay more voluntary tax for the next drawing.



But today is different.  This next Powerball drawing, for August 23rd, has an estimated jackpot, for one winner, of $650,000,000.

 

Of course, we must pay taxes on the winnings.  Federal tax alone is roughly $247,000,000!  That’s more money than I spend on cat litter each year.  But I digress.



To sum this up, we pay a voluntary tax to buy a ticket, then we must pay a tax if we win.  No wonder people pay their taxes in nickels.



In any case, this is about the time when all those logical poor folks enthusiastically give people like me their personal sage advice.



They are quick to point out how my chances of getting struck by lightning are 12 times that of winning the lottery.  Or, to put is more succinctly, I could outrun Seabiscuit for the Triple Crown.



Still, to validate my own modest spending on entertainment, I simply look at my movie watching habits.



I subscribe to a mail-order movie service.  I spend $11 per month to get movies sent to my door from a place we’ll refer to as Getflix, whose name I cleverly hid.



Over the years, my sainted wife and I have seen over three hundred Getflix movies and have only genuinely enjoyed perhaps eight. 



Those are disappointments to me, but just as with the lottery numbers, I get to select what I see, and the numbers that I play.  If I am disappointed, it’s my own fault.



But if I do win, I will arrive at Powerball Headquarters with a trailer to pick up my winnings I would like to receive in dollar bills.  Pity the bank.



So there you have it.  If you’re a lottery player and actually do win the jackpot, remember all those naysayers and lighting statistic enthusiasts.



And say. “Hey,” for me.