Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, August 7, 2017

American, Please


Because I’m a little long-in-the-tooth, mobility is not what it once was.  In high school, I ran the half-mile in track; it has since been changed to the “880 meter run,” something that was desperately needed because of the metric system.



It seems that the half-mile and 880 meters are one in the same but, to make our north-of-the-border, and south-of-the-border folks feel more welcome, we have slowly adopted the metric system of ruining America.



My sainted wife and I decided that our status as relics deserved a treat, so we opted for a new toilet in the guest powder room.  My sainted wife calls it the powder room because it sounds nicer than bathroom. 



I don’t think it is anywhere nearly as descriptive as it should be, because there’s not an iota of powder – talc or otherwise – to be found therein.  There is, however, a bathtub neatly situated inside.  But, I digress.



It was off to the giant hardware store to shop for powder room accoutrements.



Upon arrival, we were met with a compendium of lavatories suitable for most needs. Oddly enough, all were made of porcelain, and were white in color.



Stop laughing right now.  Back in the 1970’s style dictated kitchen and bath appliances be offered in harvest gold, and avocado green, along with white.  Matching tile and patterned linoleum flooring created a late-century train wreck motif that evoked nausea.



It so happens our house contains both the green and gold bathroom versions!



This shopping spree was to help make one powder room more comfortable by installing a taller, more elongated potty in lieu of the current round gold version.



It’s been a long time since I shopped for toilets; six decades, actually.  So, it was with amazement that I ran across more toilets than I could imagine.  It was time to enlist the aid of a store professional.



Alas, there was none so, we found Chip from the lawn mower department was willing to assist us.  Chip knew just a smidgen less about toilets than Smokey the cat.



He patiently read the information off the boxes to us, as though my sainted wife and I were Serbian refugees without the ability to form Basic English sentences.



He eventually reached the part that explained each flush used 3.8 liters of water.  Then, he went on to try to tell us this particular model was crafted in America.



But it was the 3.8 liter part that had me baffled.  Just how much was 3.8 liters?



So I asked Chip, “Just how much is 3.8 liters?”



Suddenly, Chips eyes glazed-over and began to swirl as if tiny tear eddies formed in his eyes.  Nearly 37 seconds crept by when I began calling him out of his trance.



“Chip!  Chip!  Chip!” with only modest success.



Apparently Chip was not the scholar his employer envisioned him as. 



I began thinking about all those packages bearing product pictures and copious writing crowded with both English and Spanish advertising.  Somewhere on that packaging there could surely be enough free space to include the American equivalent to 3.8 liters.



Surely I was wrong.  And so, I let the scholars among us buy all the toilets they wanted.  I will keep my harvest gold treasure for a while longer.