Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, May 15, 2017

Go Forth to Serve


As usual, my invitation to appear as a commencement speaker was lost-in-the-mail.  Mail service on The Eastern Shore is tenuous, at best.  But, I digress.



As a high school and college graduate, I still recall my two commencement speeches, along with the speakers themselves.  They were motivational, but not stirring.  As usual, they contained pretty useless information about traipsing out into the world to help others.  Rah.



These were the same type of lectures offered at church.  Amen.



In any case, I am offering this essay to assist those intellectual and emotional sponges who would rather receive the truth about the tomorrow, instead of some secular fluff.



It is an honor to stand before you today as your humble tour guide to your future in the real world.  Many of you pity me as an old guy who needs to be taken back to “the home,” while the astute among you see me as a wise sage.  Both views are correct.



Decades ago I sat right where you are now sitting.  I too went through all the trials and tribulations of trigonometry, physics, and English term papers, as well as discovering my sexuality, time management skills, and social development abilities.



I also dabbled with alcohol, cigarettes, and drugs, satisfying my curiosity with all.



But all of this taught me that not only did I have before me a heaping plate of unfamiliar topics and vices, I also had a wide variety of choices to take.  And I had to choose wisely.



Some of my then-cohorts didn’t select their options well, and are still suffering from those poor decisions.



To be precise, some of the big men on campus – otherwise known as BMOCs – have been stuck in 1974 for decades with dead end jobs, failed marriages, and non-existent retirement plans.  Still, they ran 30-yards for a touchdown one Saturday afternoon.  Rah.



Their receding hairlines, stomach paunches, and rust Ford Mavericks, are still in fashion in their own little worlds.



Now I didn’t fare much better in life.  But is did learn how to manage my school and work time, earned monies, and brief recreation moments.



I suppose the best way to keep this speech both brief and poignant is to sum everything up in the next few sentences.



I’m not trying to lecture you about doing what is right, or ensuring your community is fulfilled by your efforts, or your efforts will keep the planet spinning. 



I am merely trying to tell you that at your age you know the difference between right and wrong, good and bad.



None of you are pioneers in the arena of temptations, physical and mental changes, and grueling course schedules.  You are novices when your time to find jobs, work with others, be employed by a company whose goal is to turn a profit, and follow established rules, finally arrives.  And that day is nigh.



God gave you two ears and one mouth, so that you can listen twice as much as you talk, according to Judge Judy.  She is right.



If you need questions answered, ask your elders; they likely know the answer, and they will give you the unvarnished truth.



Lastly, if you feel the need to protest something – anything – do it after you have a job, and do it peacefully.  If you don’t have a job, you have no dog in most fights; if you protest peacefully, you exude maturity.  That’s important.



To that end, I wish you well.  I also encourage you to think about the consequences of your actions, or lack thereof.  The choice is yours.



Godspeed.  I’ll be at “the home,” if you need me.