Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, December 5, 2016

It’s the Keys, Stupid


My sainted wife and I wandered about the mall earlier this week, because that’s what old, retired folks do.

I needed to use the men’s room again, because that’s what old, retired folks do.  That’s when I lost my sainted wife.

Before cheering and heading for the champagne aisle, I remembered she had the car keys in her purse.  Now I needed to find her before she abandoned me.

I dashed from aisle-to-aisle as fast as I could dash without a martini awaiting my arrival, to no avail.

Just when I thought I spied her, it turned out to be another woman who was her same height, weight, with the same hair color and similar do.  She wearing an identical blouse and those britches that only come down to her mid-calf.

It wasn’t long before is espied another woman with comparable physical qualities, again not her.

It seems as though shipping venues are chock full of women who look alike.

Years ago, we had a house surrounded by nut and fruit trees.  As each spring arrived, we would stand in awe at the beauty and magnificence of the blossoms glowing on the pear, cherry, apple, and plum trees.  They served as a barometer for the beginning of warmer weather and eventually summer.

But along the way, as the fruit developed into meaningful shapes of deliciousness along with the promise of fresh produce, squirrels began to appear testing these wares.  They would snatch one of the fruits from the tree and, after taking a bite to realize they were not ripe, drop it on the ground.

This was not very annoying until rogue squirrels from adjacent neighborhoods began to help our barrio rodents with their fruit decimation.

It wasn’t long before I began a catch-and-release program for the squirrels.  They were safely trapped in a cage and, to ensure they were not recidivists, they were spray painted with orange paint.

Yes, they all looked alike, very much like our lady mall-goers.

Short of finding orange spray paint and engaging in a cross between assault and vandalism, I had an epiphany. 

Soon thereafter I ran across my sainted wife who was dutifully tucked away in the shoe department.

She was trying on sneakers for her daily walk around the neighborhood.  The kind she likes – Sketchers – are too expensive for our taste so, she was trying on a less-expensive knock-off brand likely made by 6-year olds in Indonesia.

She tried on a pair that Stevie Wonder could see in the dark, in a closet, during an eclipse.

“What do you think?” was her question.  The delight on her face indicated she liked them and was going to buy them no matter what my answer was.

Recalling the spray-painted rodents in my yard, I smiled and said, “I really like them!”

You see, none of the other gray-haired, women in the mall wore a pair of shoes even close to these.  These were neon locator beacons I needed to be able to quickly find my sainted wife in a jiffy.  If I have the car keys, that is.