Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, April 25, 2016

Timber! Kinda


   Some years I traveled in excess of 84,000 miles.  And in not once instance did a flight crew rush into the passenger compartment begging the passengers for help flying the plane.
For many years my life involved air travel for both business and vacations.

Even if they did, I’d have to decline out of sheer ignorance of knowing how to turn on the radio, much less lower the landing gear.  That is one job better left to professionals.

This is where this week’s story begins.

From the Land of Lincoln, I received a call from my sainted wife’s sister.  For Canadian readers, that’s Illinois, and my sister-in-law.  But, I digress.

It was a beautiful Sunday here when the phone rang.  My sister-in-law, let’s call her Diane, was whispering much like an announcer at the Master’s Tournament.  I could picture her with her hand over the phone mouthpiece, wearing gaudy argyle sweater and stupid golf cap.

Barely audible she said, “I wish you were here!’

I couldn’t imagine where this conversation was headed so I replied, “Likewise.”

Wondering if I owed her any money, she finally coughed up the real information.

“The neighbors are cutting down a tree,” she offered, still whispering.

In the background I could hear something akin to a garbage disposal.  It was a chainsaw.
 
“I’m whispering because I don’t want the neighbors to hear me,” was Diane’s excuse for the hush-hush tone.

I couldn’t understand how the neighbors could hear her when I was unable to.  But, I digress again.

Her play-by-play was thorough and concise.  Details such as one of the helpers had a rope in-hand trying to control the direction of fall of a 9,000 pound tree; he had a better chance of winning the Powerball.  Again, for our Canadian brethren, 9,000 pounds is almost as large as actor Alec Baldwin.

The chainsaw master made another incision into the trunk allowing the tree-in-question to deftly fall into another tree, causing it to becoming hopelessly wedged.

Over the years both Diane and I had the need for tree removal and immediately reached out to tree professionals and/or arborists.  The difference is arborists charge 1/3 more for advice and condolences on the tree they are about to cut but wish they could save.

In any case, this scenario lasted nearly all day with the tree coming out as the clear winner.

Immediate neighboring houses apparently had occupants somewhat edgy, with even Baptists drinking Scotch whisky to calm their nerves.

Diane and I likened this cost-saving exercise to having a doctor explain to you about your ready-to-burst appendix, announcing the cost to remove it would be $25,000.

Being super frugal, you decide to do the removal job yourself.  That’s probably not the road to travel, but less expensive by over $24,000.

By the way, the tree-felling exercise ended with the ersatz lumberjacks visually checking things out and finally giving up.

This is another job better left to professionals.