Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, April 27, 2015

Blow Me


As children we are given coloring books and crayons to express ourselves.  Then, we are told to “stay between the lines.”  It seems as though if we color beyond those boundaries we are somehow bad people.
 

That thought came to me while in a bathroom at a Hardee’s restaurant last week.  I had just finished peeing and was washing my hands when I noticed there was no paper towel dispenser, only one of those useless blow dryers.
 

When I was a little kid I recall trying to dry my hands with one of those dryers, to no avail.  I recall reading the metal riveted sign that instructed the user to “rub hands vigorously,” again, to no avail.  I wiped my wet hands onto my trousers to reach the desired result.
 

The Hardee’s blow dryer produced similar results – none.  I left the men’s room with wet trousers and semi-dry hands.
 

It wasn’t as much the moist britches as much as it was the instructions that began to bother me.  After fifty years of wiping my hands on my pants I realized I was still following the instructions by vigorously rubbing my hands together.


Suddenly my mind switched gears to 1964.  That was the year the federal guvment mandated seat belts be installed in all cars.
 

I have been using seat belts for over a half-century in cars, airplanes, and on amusement park rides.  I would say I have some experience.
 

Alas, instructions about their use still abound.  On the sun visor is an ugly sticker that gives both written and pictorial directions for anyone who just awoke from a five-decade coma, or an Obama supporter.
 

On every flight I’ve ever taken, the stewardesses or flight chicks, or whatever their current title is, stand in the aisle with a miniature seatbelt.  They plug one end into the other and then demonstrate how to uncouple the pieces.  After roughly 400 visual examples, I have yet to learn anything new.
 

Keeping all this in mind, I feel that each traffic light and every stop sign should have a sign posted that explains the procedure for behavior at that junction.  I’ve witnessed many drivers simply roll through stop signs and drive willy-nilly across lanes of traffic without even slowing.  (Hence the installation of red-light cameras.)

 

In all my years I have never seen a person on a just-landed airplane frantically calling for an air chick to help them unbuckle their seatbelt.

 

Likewise, I have yet to spot a skeleton inside an automobile that spent their final days attempting to undo their safety belt.

 

Why are all those instructions given when we clearly know how to do things? 

 

My suggestion for all this insaneness is to  stop with all those nonsensical instructions and spend that time an money on building something that will actually dry hands.

 

I think I’ll invent a paper towel.