Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, July 14, 2014

Say, “Goodbye!”


For you younger readers, there once was a chain of department stores named Montgomery Ward.  They populated many shopping centers and were the main rival of Sears.

Montgomery Ward went the way of the dinosaur, buggy whip, and ice factory, because they were replaced by new, innovative ideas that surpassed their venues.

Sears has never been my favorite store because their products are junk and they all carry a seven-digit number.

Garage door openers, hedge clippers, hammers, weed whackers, and screw drivers, all have a seven-digit number.

People at Sears will gladly sell you a product, but are slow to help you thereafter.  Years ago, my sainted wife bought me a screwdriver set from Sears.  Their claim to fame is that they stand behind their products by replacing their hand tools without question.

It wasn’t but a few months later when I broke the tips off two Philips screw drivers.  I took them back to Sears and was told they couldn’t replace them because I needed a receipt.  I returned home with two broken screw drivers.

Then, I was lured into Sears for a weed whacker that was on sale.  After a short time I realized the head that feeds the line was not up to my standards.  I returned to the store and tried to buy a replacement head, to no avail.

The clerk grinned and announced there was nothing he could do “without that pesky seven-digit number.”  I asked him to look it up on the computer because it was purchased with a credit card from that very cash register.  He refused and walked away.  I’m willing to wager that if I had brought the weed whacker into Sears for repair, he would have looked it up to ensure the warranty was in compliance with the purchase date.

By now if you think I would have learned my lesson, you would be wrong.  Rather, I bought a router from them and needed to get a replacement base and bit wrench for it.  I had that pesky seven-digit number in-hand at the store when I was informed they no longer sell parts for this three year-old tool.

And just recently I attempted to buy replacement blades for my Craftsman gas edger.  I have the original box with a number from Briggs and Stratton.  Not having much success on the World Wide Web, I called the Sears “help line.”

A douchebag named Adam answered the phone and gleefully asked my problem.  I told him what I was looking for and he asked for the number of the machine itself.  I was prepared because I took a photo of the label with my cell phone - the actual photo appears above.  That number is obliterated and illegible.  My sainted wife and I resembled two CSI technicians armed with a magnifying glass to try and resolve this with a happy ending, for a change.  No luck.

Happy Adam informed me there was nothing he could do.  Adam confirmed that I was a slow learner and should have shopped elsewhere.  I will shop elsewhere from now on. 

It won’t be long before we can add Sears to that list with Montgomery Ward, dinosaurs, buggy whips, and ice factories.

Bye, bye to you and that pesky seven-digit number.  And, Adam, start looking for a new job.