Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Doing My Part


Since the holidays were approaching, and I needed some picnic side dishes, I headed to Walmart where I usually shop for groceries.  After an ardent search, I could not locate the potato salad which I so enjoy.
 

They had macaroni salad, cole slaw, and some potato salads, alas not what I was looking for.  One potato salad was “regular,” another was “Amish style,” and yet another was labeled “egg” potato salad.
 

But, I so enjoy the “r-word” potato salad.  I needed professional Walmart help.
 

“Where is the ‘r-word’ potato salad?” I asked.


The lovely woman named déLaShontá – that’s what her official name tag said – loading chickens into the rotisseries shook her head and asked me what I was talking about.


“The r-word potato salad,” I reiterated.


“What is the ‘r-word’ potato salad?” she posed.


“That’s the salad that you normally have in-between the Amish potato salad and the hummus,” was my answer.


“But, what’s that?” the Walmart deli official asked.
 

“That’s stuff made from pureed chick peas with olive oil and…” was all I could get out before I was interrupted.
 

Evidently there was some sort of rotisserie chicken shortage crisis that needed immediate attention, and there was no time for helping needy customers in search of wanted products.
 

“I know what hummus be!” retorted déLaShontá.  “What’s that r-word stuff you looking for?”
 

Clearly she was baffled by my simple inquiry.  I approached her and whispered to her.  “This may be offensive to you but, it is redskin potato salad,” was my answer in my absolute lowest voice possible.
 

Hoping no one in the store but déLaShontá heard me, I told her how that word describing the type of potato used in the creation of this delectable side dish, and subsequent name, has become suddenly unpopular and has even been banned by some politicians.  This earnest effort to protect tender, virgin ears from such vulgar words should be embraced rather than scorned.
 

It was at this point that déLaShontá claimed to be a Washington Redskins fan.  Three nearby customers fell to the linoleum floor and curled into balls, writhing about the aisle next to the frozen pizzas and crab dip.  I might add the crab dip is quite delectable.
 

Plainly evident was that those three agonizing individuals were uber-sensitive to offensive to words that have long-described products and teams. 
 

This hoopla began when a few bored individuals needed a cause to back.  Beating baby seals to death was already taken so, making the name of the Washington Redskins disgusting was fair game.
 

We are now not allowed to say the word “redskins” out of fear of sending countless numbers of the masses into conniption fits.  Please don’t thank me – I’m just doing my part to help the easily-offended.