Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, April 7, 2014

Tips

Each year around that time of year when Christians celebrate the birth of a special baby – whose name we cannot mention out of fear of offending some atheist douchebag – the topic of “tips” arises as a form of annual gift.  For those not so easily offended, I refer to Christmas.

 
Tips are those things that are tokens of our appreciation of the service that was extended to us, by service personnel, throughout the year.

 
Subject to receiving tips are people like barbers and hairdressers, regular waiters, our caddies, and landscaping and lawn mowing folks.  These people provide a service for our monthly, weekly, and daily needs, and include newspaper deliverers, garbage men, and even postal workers.

 
I must admit that in all my years of working at various jobs, I never got a monetary tip.  This is likely because my line of work – although rigorous and well performed – was not subject to the average Joe giving me extra money for diligently doing my work.

 
While this is not that generous time of year when gifts are exchanged, it is a splendid tile to discuss giving tips to service personnel.

 
Our trashmen pick up our garbage twice weekly and arrive during the early morn hours of betwixt 3:30 and between 6:00 am.

 
These are ungodly hours for retired folks who desperately need their beauty rest.  The banging and slamming of the cans is nothing compared to the roar of the giant truck that can be heard making its way to my abode, blocks away.

 
Upon arrival, they feel the undying need to compact the contents of the previous houses in front of my house.  This noisy operation usually wakes everyone including the deceased – successfully, I might add.

 
When done with this un-ninja-like process, dogs-a-barking, they toss my garbage can on my front lawn to be dealt with upon my retrieval of my morning newspaper.

 
The paper is delivered daily at roughly 5:00 am, because apparently there isn’t enough ado in my neighborhood before the sun rises.  Once again, with dogs agog and 0-dark-thirty traffic jams, the hoopla continues.

 
My newspaper search begins.

 
Often it is on the lawn but, sometimes a little sport is involved.  A few times it was beneath the car, a couple of times it was on the neighbor’s lawn, twice I found it on the roof, and once it floated away during a torrential rain storm.
 

When I talk about those Christmas tips, I am going to begin a new tradition that will likely please no one but me.
 

To the garbage men, their tip will be to be quiet be for 7:00 am, and place my trash can upside-down on the curb.  Do not let it roll around in the street in order to cause a traffic wreck or simply be run-over dictating my need to buy another new one.
 

And, to the newspaper gal, my proposed tip is to not make a game out of where it will be when I gout to get it in the morning.  I’m not on a treasure hunt or looking for truffles.
 

Those are pretty good tips that should be appreciated and savored year-round.