Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Let There Be Lights

Just as last year, and the year before, and the year before that year, I spent the previous 4½ hours with a test meter checking bulbs in my many strings of Christmas lights.
 
Ghost hunters, UFO chasers, and crypto zoologists, spend countless years trying to figure out the reality of the paranormal, extraterrestrial aliens, and the existence of mythical creatures.
 
If only they would sit with me for a brief time around the approaching Christmas season, we all might be able to note a miraculous scientific discovery, together.
 
I could possibly lead them directly to a poltergeist-like entity that somehow manages to creep into my garage, during the off-season, and wreak havoc on my strings of lights.
 
Each end-of-Christmas-season ritual is the same, with me carefully wrapping the newly de-hung lights, labeling them, and packing them neatly into boxes until next year.
 
And each new season begins with the hope of a trouble-free reassembly of last year’s scheme of festive outdoor illumination.  No such luck.
 
This first string pulled from the hermetically sealed packaging worked well last year.  With crossed fingers, I plugged it into the workbench electrical strip and…
 
The baffling part is that there were no steam rollers cavorting about my garage, nor were there any ravaging hedge clippers wreaking havoc among the Christmas decorations.
 
My tradition was no disappointment this year.  Out comes the tester to figure out why there is no light emanating from my lights.
 
Both Smokey the cat and my sainted wife wanted in on the action.  One wanted to play with the removed bulbs and fuses, my sainted wife was begging for cat treats.  Maybe it was the other way around.
 
In any case, the effort to locate and isolate the problem coughed up thoughts of far more technical matters.
 
In the 1960’s, then-President John F. Kennedy challenged Americans to build a rocket ship to the Moon.  That flight was launched in 1969 and made Americans the envy of the world.
 
Scientists and engineers huddled together to create a craft to ferry three men to the Moon and back.  Not without problems, these brainiacs accomplished their mission, solving problems not within walking distance, with aplomb.
 
The former Soviet Union was left in our dust as we, as a nation, displayed technological feats never seen before.
 
Unfortunately, President Kennedy didn’t challenge Christmas light manufacturers to create strings of lights that didn’t require a master’s of science degree to get them to work two consecutive years.
 
It wasn’t long before one string after another found their way into my favorite garbage can.  To avoid temptation of retrieving them later, I severed them like a Top Chef contestant chopping Vidalia onions.
 
And so goes the mystery of the Christmas lights until they are repackaged for next years’ round of these games.  Perhaps I’ll win then.