Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, January 28, 2013

Clip Job

Every few weeks I get my hair trimmed.  This simple sounding task should be, er, simple.  But, it is not.

As a small child, I recall my Dad taking me to the barber shop where the barber lugged out a pedal car, in the shape of a fire truck, mounted on an apparatus to serve as a child’ chair.  There, I got my first snip not without tears.  This experience wasn’t painful; rather, it was scary with all the noises and activity.

And, it wasn’t long until the haircut trek was made solo on my trusty bicycle.  I learned early in life that a good haircut was one that could not be identified as a new haircut.  That secret was with the barber, which meant forging a bond with the one who knew what to do without much instruction.  That is called ‘talent.’

Indeed, I would literally stride into the shop, wait for my barber, and be magically transformed from a shaggy imp into a presentable human being.

One day, following the trim, I was introduced to something of an epiphany – a hot shave.  My talented barber lathered me hot shaving cream and, while my stubbles were warming and softening, he was honing his straight razor on a leather strop.  Once again in life, I was frightened.  Once safe after the shave and pleased I didn’t succumb to exsanguination, I realized I was missing something special in my life – hot shaves.

All that changed when I made my career relocation and moved four-hundred miles away.  Now the process had to begin again.  Evidently, barbers working below the Mason-Dixon Line have never heard of hot lather shaves.  Alas.

Close proximity doesn’t necessarily translate into a quality hair cutter.  Just as with that old question: What do you call a doctor who graduated last in his class?  “Doctor.”

Barbers, too, have a learning curve to become better than simply being able to differentiate between a comb and scissors.  It’s too bad they use me to try to change that curve.

Eventually I found a neighbor who worked at a women’s hair salon who passed the novice stage and needed side money.

This was the first experience I had with a woman getting that close to me with a sharp object.  Sure, it was frightening, but no more so than when I last rode in that fire truck back in paragraph two.

She did a fine job and remained my barber for years.  No waiting, no inane talk about sports, and drinking a cold beer seemed very civilized.  The end result was not a good haircut.  It was a great haircut.
 
Moving to The Eastern Shore forced me to find yet another person who was able to meet my grooming expectations.  After going through several, I found one.

Although the hot shaves were gone, I still looked good.  Evidently, hot shaves were phased out sometime while I was getting the neighbor salon treatment.  But, I finally found a shop that gives me all the service including the warm lather - except the cold beer.

Today, I received another haircut and shave without arguing with the barber who was a woman working in a barber shop.  This may be my new barber shop.  She even offered me a massage.  Yep, I was frightened once again.