Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, March 16, 2020

The Magic Hat




One of my earlier jobs was working in a store.  There, I had to deal with total strangers, and whilst doing so, make them my best friends very quickly. 



A part-time colleague gave me a hint as to how to make this happen – simply tell your customers something funny, along the lines of a quick, clean joke.  People who smiled were more likely to buy something, he said.



In order to accomplish this goal I needed to learn copious amounts of clean jokes that were funny, to break the ice.  And my colleague was right; smiling people were money-spending people.



It wasn’t long before my commission sales skyrocketed, making me the district sales leader for three consecutive months.



This morning I spent nearly 20-minutes cleaning up the kitchen table, tossing out today’s newspaper, and making a fresh cup of coffee, to replace the cup I spit out 21-minutes earlier while listening to a television commercial.



I spend the mornings enjoying a cop of strong coffee while reading the fake news from yesterday in the form of the local newspaper.  I don’t believe much of what appears therein, but that’s another story for another time.



During my daily ritual, I have the television on in the background so that I may listen to news while I’m simultaneously reading it – something corporate America calls “multi-tasking”.  That actually translates to doing two jobs, neither of which will be done well.



On the television appeared a commercial for something that took me back to my store clerk days of yore, joke telling.



Here were two adults, a man and a woman, neither of which looked as though they were kicked in the head by a mule.  They enunciated each word and pleasantly smiled during their spiel, and actually directed my attention to hear what they were saying.



Their important-sounding sales pitch was for something called a “hat”.



You read that right.  They were selling a hat – actually a baseball-style cap – that possessed magical powers.



Those last words were mine because I was too consumed by multi-tasking to actually hear all the words in order.  Nonetheless, this ball cap was touted not only as a really cool-looking head cover, but also a money-back guaranteed medical device.



It seems as though my life has been incomplete because I didn’t have this headwear in my closet or on my head.



Now for the magic part.



The magic hat
According to the TV ad, if you simply wear this cap you will be able to re-grow hair on your head.  I suppose if, while you were overheated, you placed it on your knee, you would grow hair on your knee to rival an ape.  But I digress.



Apparently this special ball cap utilizes batteries to power the series of lasers that line the inside of this cap.  Those lasers are alleged to stimulate re-growth of hair follicles thereby creating a head of hair that would make Fabio blush.



Again, that last sentence was what I heard, and may or may not reflect what words were exactly implied.  I was busy, though.



Static pictures of before and after hair models were splashed on the screen, implying these results could resemble you in the near future.



It was about this time my Keurig coffee was spat across the kitchen table.  I immediately recalled my retail joke days.



Although most of my jokes were clean, they were not funny although they broke the ice.



This laser infused ball cap that could re grow hair was very funny.



I’m going to pass this onto my barber.