Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, January 13, 2020

Professionals




My Father used to snap-up the morning newspaper to check on the previous day’s scores, usually with less than desirable results.  His sports were baseball and football.  Period.



And there are too many different sports in the world to try to address them here.



I still read a newspaper each day; my Dad has since passed and likely reads one in Heaven.  But this morning I noticed something I hadn’t noticed before. 



Various leagues of basketball, baseball trades and injuries, bowling, boxing, figure skating, college and pro football, golf, gymnastics, hockey, horse racing, lacrosse, martial arts, motor sports, soccer, tennis, and wrestling, were the headings to both scoreboards and news items, alike.



Still, there are two “sports” I neglected to mention because I don’t consider them sports.



One is poker, the other is fishing.



Before you throw your computer mouse or smartphone through the wall, give me a chance to explain.



In my humble opinion, poker is no more a sport than Olympic-class beer drinking.  While it may seem like a sport to the “athlete,” it is no more painful to watch than a drying dishrag.



A half-dozen greasers wearing too much jewelry, hoodies, and sunglasses, stoically sit around a green felt-top table.  A dealer passes out cards to these narcissistic professional gamblers who try to out think their fellow gamblers.  (You’d have more fun trying to outthink my cat.)



Money is wagered and hands are folded with barely audible negative mumblings from the participants.  This hot and heavy action is continued until there are two suicides from shear boredom at the poker table.



At that point, the off-screen announcers flash the cumulative winnings on the television to keep the viewers who are still awake, apprised of the rankings.



This action continues until the show is cancelled, or the newspaper writer dies of old age.



And then there is the sport of fishing.



“Sport,” is a very generous word to describe something anyone can do.  Keep in mind that you can fish while you’re drunk; I know, I’ve done it.



My Dad used to take me fishing when I was seven-years old.  One of his workmates gave him a fishing pole for me.  We bought our own hooks and bait.  He would take me to the local reservoir to fish for sunfish and bluegills.



I usually caught a few on each outing – all of which we tossed back into the water.  In fact, I likely caught the same ones repeatedly who eventually realized they could get a free meal for pretending to be snookered into biting a yummy drowning worm.



In any case, it was more fun for me than the worm, and probably pretty relaxing for Dad, who could escape from home duties for a few hours, as a chaperone.



Had I known one could make a good living riding around in a boat with a rod and reel with a shirt and cap resembling a billboard, my life would have taken a different path altogether.  I would have certainly studied less in school, and sat beside a local pond more.



The amazing part of all this is that most of these fishing professionals are sponsored – given their gear and boat and cool clothes – for simply fishing!



In any case, prize money in these tournaments easily reaches hundred of thousands of dollars, for a few days on a lake or river.  But I digress.



Of course the newspaper outdoor writers also include local fishing tips for amateurs to include the where, when, and what of area fishing.  Suddenly, everyone knows the “secret” fishing spot, time to drown worms, and the type of fish you can expect to catch.



But the bottom line is I am now off to proudly announce to my sainted wife that I’ve always been a world-class athlete.  I’ve played poker and fished with great enthusiasm.



I’m certain she’ll agree and hold me in higher esteem – once she stops laughing.