Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, June 11, 2018

Let Them Eat Cake


Just as I do every day, I was waiting at the airport and I began thinking about cakes.



I sit at the terminal waiting to espy Jon Stewart, Chelsea Handler, Lena Dunham, Keegan-Michael Key, Al Sharpton, Spike Lee, Samuel L. Jackson, Cher, George Lopez, Barbra Streisand, Amy Schumer, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, and Mylie Cyrus, all of whom promised to leave the United States if Donald Trump was elected President.



He was, and I have yet to catch a glimpse of any of these phonies departing.  Alas.



In any case, as I said, I was thinking about cakes when a monitor in the terminal ran a CNN story about Jack Phillips.



Mr. Phillips is a baker who specializes in over-the-top wedding and special event cakes.  In fact, they are more works of art than confectionary goods.



Some time ago a gay couple desperately desired Mr. Phillips to design and bake a cake for their husband and husband marriage.



Mr. Phillips, a devout Christian, declined because his religious sect did not allow for marriage to occur between anyone other than a man and woman, period.



Rather than thanking Mr. Phillips for his time and finding another bakery, this pair felt it necessary to attempt to financially ruin Mr. Phillips and his bakery by filing a discrimination lawsuit.



This couple, Charlie Craig and David Mullins, took their case to the Colorado Civil Rights Commission. The free thinking commission ruled against Phillips, and a Colorado appeals court agreed.



Well, the United States Supreme Court took this case and overturned the judgment against Phillips because it violated Mr. Phillips’ Constitutional Rights.



You see, everybody wound up with hurt feelings, and you can be wrong even though you throw a legal tantrum.  In this case, the Supreme Court felt government officials treated Phillips’ religious beliefs as mere rhetoric, pooh-poohing his long-standing rights.



This is when I began to use logic.  I’ve only been to Colorado once on business, and although I simply love blueberry cake doughnuts with a light powder sugar glaze, I hadn’t had the opportunity or drive to visit any bakery, much less Jack Phillips’ bakery.



However, I’ll wager my retirement check there is more than just one bakery in Colorado.  And if a bakery refused to make a cake of any sort for me – or sell me blueberry doughnuts – I’d be glad to take my business elsewhere involving no legal action.



In fact, Lowe’s refused to serve me in their window treatment department; I made my displeasure known and haven’t been back.  Nor will I return even if they sell artificial hearts and I need one to continue living and kvetching.  But I digress.



Husband and husband Charlie and David should have simply gone to one of the other Colorado bakeries to order a cake for their special day.  But no.  They opted for notoriety and revenge.



Now the sour grapes Left is publishing “what-ifs,” such as what if an atheist baker refuses service to evangelical Christians?



Here’s a thought: If those hypothetical Christians had any sense of self-worth they would take their trade to a bakery that appreciates the rights and wishes of the baker while respecting and celebrating diversity.



Get over it.