Email us at easternshorefishandgame@gmail.com

Check out local business partners "click here"

Monday, May 21, 2018

Counterfeit Food




Some years ago I had a neighbor who was not only attractive and successful, but also wacky.



Upon meeting and getting past introductions, my sainted wife and I invited her over for dinner.



“I’m a vegan,” she proudly announced.



I immediately began surreptitiously attempting to check to see if she possessed teeth.



They were pearly white thereby indicating she was more than able to chew meat.



What can you really say to someone who feels guilty about eating food?



In all honesty, the word “vegan” is an old Indian term for “poor hunter.”



This is as good a place as any to point out there are varying degrees of veganism.



Dietary vegans refrain from consuming animal products, not only meat but also eggs, dairy products and other animal-derived substances. 



An ethical vegan is who not only follows a vegan diet but extends their philosophy into other areas of their lives, and oppose the use of animals for any purpose.



Then there is environmental veganism which I believe can be cured with psychotropic drugs and electro-shock therapy.  But I digress.



If at this spot you’re thinking, ‘If I visit some chicken joint, chickens will soon become an endangered species,’ you’d be wrong.



Each day there are roughly 1,000,000,000 chickens transformed from filthy animals into scrumptious food for the entire world; Cows are not far behind.  Personally, I try to devour as many of each as possible to help prevent animal flatulence from ruining the environment from irreparable damage.  You’re welcome.



But the true issue is that this neighbor came by and refused dinner based on the fact she was abstaining from anything but lettuce and kale and such.



She excused herself and went home, only to return with a package of chicken parts.  I was confused, to say the least.



Neighbor lady explained this cellophane pack of fowl was derived from “free range chickens.”  Evidently, free range chickens are fair game for vegans because they can roam about without being confined by fences.



It’s my understanding that farmers without fences were called “poor.”



In any case, a few weeks later, she came by again while I was cooking out. This time she brought some sushi-grade tuna to join our festivities.  At this juncture I gave up trying to analyze this bad dream.



Tofu burger.  MMMMMMMMM!!!
And all this came back to my mind because while shopping for groceries today, I noticed there were soy bean and pine needles fashioned into fake hamburgers.  The picture on the box made the burger look tasty and juicy.



The claim on the box was that these phony hamburgers not only looked like real beef, but also tasted like real beef.  But why?  They cost nearly twice as much as the real thing; not what I would consider a bargain.



If I was attempting to avoid meat, fish, milk, and the like, I would not want to consume anything resembling a beef or pork product. 



I just talked myself into a fried pork chop.



See you next week.